Advice on cheapest dive classes.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are you looking to buy your own gear or rent each time? I ran across a freaking awesome deal when u started (bc, 3 regs, 3 al tanks, old wetsuit, dive bag for $250). The guy I bought it from was a friends boss and was getting out of diving. The tanks I bought lasted a year and then the hydro expired and they were the 20 year old al80s that hardly anyone will fill so I had to buy new ones. The regs are all old sherwoods, and I wad able to get parts for one and have it rebuilt. The bc is a nice bc and is probably still worth what I paid for the entire package. Try craigslist or eBay and just get the stuff checked over by the instructor you end up going with....you may even find an instructor on craigslist too. Do you have any skills to barter? If so see if they are needed by a local lds. Basically if you want it bad enough...

Craigslist and Ebay do have some occasional good deals. You just have to be picky on what you get because sometimes you get peoples junk :(

your right about that! even though the deal I got ended up being awesome, two of the regs were old enough the lds said they cant get parts for them, and even if parts were available they are just plan heavy (first stage). So it does help to know what you are looking at when buying dive gear.

your right about that! even though the deal I got ended up being awesome, two of the regs were old enough the lds said they cant get parts for them, and even if parts were available they are just plan heavy (first stage). So it does help to know what you are looking at when buying dive gear.

Ok this is a story I heard about a dive shop once with used gear. (Yes its a true one) A guy purchased a tank online. He then took the same tank to a dive shop to get it inspected. When he returned to retrieve his tank not only did it pass VIP but he learned the shop accidently sold his tank :) Not sure what the end result was on this one though :D

But on a serious note though I have seen not just in scuba but in a great many things people selling junk online. But if your savy enough to know what to look for with the economy the way it is a lot of people are trying to sell some really good gear for way cheap. If you choose this route then best of luck to you :D

I recently saw a deal with a used computer, bcd, regs, 2 tanks and a wetsuit all for 1000 dollars. when I inspected the cobra myself it had only 25 logged dives in memory dating back one year. included in the deal was a receipt for the original purchase of over 900 dollars for the computer alone

carl, I'll echo what several have said about the cheapest class often not being the cheapest, when all is said and done.

I understand the need to keep cash outlay to a minimum, but learning to dive IS going to cost money, no matter how you do it. Very inexpensive classes (like the periodic Underwater Sports $99 special) don't include a lot of things, so when you add in buying all your personal gear and books and rental of various things, it may be much closer to Northwest Sports Divers' $400 or so than you would think.

Diving in Puget Sound is enormous fun, but it is also not the world's easiest diving. It's cold water, with low visibility and often some current. You want your class to give you enough time in the pool to get really comfortable with your equipment and its use, so that when you get into the cold, green water, you're not still trying to figure out how to work your BC. If you have a good class and graduate comfortable in the water, you can then use the good advice you've gotten above on how to accumulate gear inexpensively so you can keep diving. But if you have a rushed, superficial class, you may just find you never get comfortable enough in the water to want to continue to dive.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions about gear, shops or classes locally.

I just wanted to emphasize what others have said about comparing diver training and that is to compare apples to apples. You live in the PNW -- you are fortunate to have have tons of options.

Costs: Check lots of shops. Ask about what the cost and what it does not. Ask if they have any sales coming up. Is there a fee for the C-Card? Is there a charge for a crew pack (or similar)? Is there a charge for a DVD? What gear must you provide? Do you have to purchase it there? Are there are any charges/rentals for the cert dives?

Training: Please see the earlier mentioned thread on choosing a class. Generally speaking, I would second that thread. Less obvious things to consider include where the class meets, the pool, do you have the option of extra pool time, quality of their rental gear, etc. IMHO, the longer the classes (and especially pool time, they better you are). I think a better training experience is worth the (often small) extra cost.

Extra Values: Do they offer any free post-cert rentals? Gear discounts? Rental discounts? Free shop dives?

Gear: Most shops (perhaps all around here) require you to provide some gear.

If they do, any decent shop will insist that it be of sufficient quality and that it fits. You don't want to use gear that fits poorly or that is falling apart (or is designed for light pool use). You want gear that is appropriate for local diving (around here, that means beefy boots, open heeled fins, etc.)

The local list seems to typically be: mask, fin, snorkel, booties and gloves(!). Other places I know of (outside the area) also require weights (?) and mouthpieces. Another provides everything but the swimsuit (also out of the area). Some require you to buy it from them. Others do not.

An Example: Not an endorsement of a training provider but here is one example. Underwater sports lists training at $110. The crew pack is $52. The cheapest mask/fins/snorkel and booties/gloves package is $135 and $60. Would they be OK if you showed up with well fitting, good quality used gear? You would have to ask.

Some Shops: In the south end, I am a fan of Capital Divers (Olympia) and Tacoma Scuba (Tacoma) as well as A2Z (?) in Puyallup. All three shops are well run. I also think Janet at Underwater in Olympia does a very nice job. I find Lighthouse to be more hit and miss. Just my opinion and YMMV. TS&M probably knows the north end shops much better than I ever will...

My first comment is be careful..... pick a good instructor, get references, call the cert agency and ask them about that instructor.

Beyond that, diving is expensive.... so as long as you know this up front... go for it. It's fun, you won't regret it.

Dive Shops don't make much on class, so expect a hard sell on equipment from most dive shops. If you dont' have budget, be up front with them about it.

Used Equipment, contrary to rabid rumor, is not Satan's castoffs. Other divers will upgrade and when they do this is an opportunity for you to get good equipment at a good price. Make sure you know the person and the equipment or are comfortable with the risk of a slightly higher service bill. I researched my gear and bought used. I had it serviced and have been extremely happy with it. Most of the gear is pretty reliable and serviceable.

I think you will want to dive Dry so make sure ask about equipment rental as part of the course.

Each certification agency has a set of standards that are required to be met for the OW course. It's important to make sure you go through all of those things.... some instructors are in a hurry and will skim over things. That's not a bargain. Look for an instructor who loves diving and is simply wanting to help others get into it. Each shop will usually have more than one instructor. Each instructor has a different personality and different interests.

Lastly, diving is a great networking opportunity. You'll be amazed who you meet and you might just find the connection that leads you to a job.

One other thought - Life is short and each day should be enjoyed for all it's worth. If you dream about diving then go diving. Worst case is you will not enjoy it... but odds are pretty good you will be hooked like the rest of us. It's simply amazing! And the Pacific NW has some incredible things to see.... so you live right there where you should be able to dive year around!

Back
Top Bottom