Advice on buying used Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman I could be wrong but as I understood my LDS tech Apeks now has a 2 year service interval

May be, I found the -service second stages and checkup the first every year with a full service on the first every other year on the Apeks UK web site, the US may be different. I did not spend too much time hunting down the info.

I will know for sure soon as my wife's Apekses are due for the service this January (their 3rd service).

Hi all, I am thinking about buying a Apeks XTX200 Reg setup with an Apeks Egress Octo and an Apeks 3 Gauge Console? I have never bought an used Reg before and I would love some feedback on what people may think that have more experience then myself. The Reg has approximately 150 dives on it and it was serviced in March 2011. The asking price is $500. From my research through local dive shops is that just the 1st and 2nd stage is worth $799 and the gauge cluster was $229 (all before tax) (not sure on the octo, but assuming a t least $150). The reason for it being sold was because the diver that had it is an instructor the is at a new dive shop and switching his gear to ScubaPro (so I am told anyway). I was just wondering if this deal is worth it and if perhaps it would be worth even though I will be the second owner and the parts warranty will be voided? Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

You can buy a new XTX 200 for $ 400 from NESS. The Egress is a low performance octo, Aqualung was giving them away with a regulator purchase a while back so you may be able to pick one up cheap in the classifieds or you can buy the XTX 20 for $80 which is a better second. You may be able to find a deal on the console.

Thank you all for your great feedback, in the end I decided to purchase the reg. I guess time will tell if it was a good investment or not but I do appreciate the wealth of knowledge that all of you replied with. The reg looks like it is in excellent condition and it was just serviced in July of this year without being used after so we will see. As for the console I decided I like the idea of the 3 compact gauges. I dive cold water mostly and my current set up is just with a SPG with a wrist mount compass and depth on my wrist mount computer. So to have a back up depth gauge and moving the compass off my drysuit covered arm to me is worth it.

Thanks again,
Rhys

The Apeks Egress is not the same as the Aqualung Abs Octo. They look very similar but the insides are different, the Egress breathes as well as many quality second stages.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom