Advice on buying used Regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rhysherriott

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, I am thinking about buying a Apeks XTX200 Reg setup with an Apeks Egress Octo and an Apeks 3 Gauge Console? I have never bought an used Reg before and I would love some feedback on what people may think that have more experience then myself. The Reg has approximately 150 dives on it and it was serviced in March 2011. The asking price is $500. From my research through local dive shops is that just the 1st and 2nd stage is worth $799 and the gauge cluster was $229 (all before tax) (not sure on the octo, but assuming a t least $150). The reason for it being sold was because the diver that had it is an instructor the is at a new dive shop and switching his gear to ScubaPro (so I am told anyway). I was just wondering if this deal is worth it and if perhaps it would be worth even though I will be the second owner and the parts warranty will be voided? Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Nothing wrong about buying used regs provided you can get the parts to rebuild it. From your post I am assuming that you don't work on your own gear. The first question I would be asking is, does my LDS service Apeks regs. If not, then find a shop that you are comfortable working with and get an estimate on the cost of rebuilding all three stages. When you have that number then you can decide if you like the deal. If it is a shop selling the reg, talk with them about getting it serviced for the cost of the parts. Never hurts to ask.

As a general rule of thumb, I figure that if I can buy used at 16% of new, it is stealing. Generally, I have found between 25 and 33% is a good range.

I am thinking about buying a Apeks XTX200 Reg setup with an Apeks Egress Octo and an Apeks 3 Gauge Console? . . . The Reg has approximately 150 dives on it and it was serviced in March 2011. The asking price is $500. From my research through local dive shops is that just the 1st and 2nd stage is worth $799 and the gauge cluster was $229 (all before tax) (not sure on the octo, but assuming a t least $150). I was just wondering if this deal is worth it and if perhaps it would be worth even though I will be the second owner and the parts warranty will be voided?
Driftwood's comments hit the mark - youi should be comfortable that local service is available (and I suspect it probably is). The XTX 200 is a fine reg. High end performance, probably a little pricier (new) than a newer diver would need if not buying used. The Egress octo is the common lower level octo that is often sold with the reg.

I wouldn't worry about being the second owner, or about the parts issue. Unless the reg has been roughly handled, or poorly serviced (also unlikely) there should not be any worry about performance issues just because it is used.

My buying guide for used regs is a little different. I look for the best / lowest online price, then set a maximum of 50% as my limit, and try to get a price in the 35-40% range. On that basis $500 is a reasonable price - not a bargain, but a fair used price for a reg in good condition. Personally, I prefer an identical alternate second stage, and I don't use consoles. But, theere is nothing at all wrong with the set-up.

You could possibly find something used that would be less expensive than a XTX200, and therefore a lower price. But, you would be doing OK with a $500 price for the gear, as you describe it. It will last a long time, and serve you well across a variety of diving environments.

$500 is a lot of money for a used regulator. One thing is that you would want to be sure you want a console; many divers find out that the console is not nearly as convenient as having a wrist mount computer and compass, and a simple SPG on a hose.

Look around some more, you should be able to find an excellent used reg for substantially less. Buying used is a great idea, in fact I couldn't imagine buying a new regulator. I'm cheap...

The price for the reg in this configuration is pretty adequate. XTX200 does have an advantage over the other apekses as it comes with an FSR 1st that has a replacable seat. I'm not a fan of an egress octo (I have one that I have bought as my first octo and rarely use it now). If console is what you want instead of a wrist mount that would be a good option price wise. Not outstanding but fairly good. Now keep in mind that you will not have parts for life and your service bill will likely come to around $150 next time you service this set. And as it was serviced a year and a half ago it ill be due soon.

It is possible to get a new XTX50 for around $500 with parts for life. For another $100 you can possibly get an octo.

So I would not be jumping quickly on this offer. You can monitor ebay and scubaboard. I see people selling a first and a second in a $200 range here quite often.

Hi all, I am thinking about buying a Apeks XTX200 Reg setup with an Apeks Egress Octo and an Apeks 3 Gauge Console? I have never bought an used Reg before and I would love some feedback on what people may think that have more experience then myself. The Reg has approximately 150 dives on it and it was serviced in March 2011. The asking price is $500. From my research through local dive shops is that just the 1st and 2nd stage is worth $799 and the gauge cluster was $229 (all before tax) (not sure on the octo, but assuming a t least $150). The reason for it being sold was because the diver that had it is an instructor the is at a new dive shop and switching his gear to ScubaPro (so I am told anyway). I was just wondering if this deal is worth it and if perhaps it would be worth even though I will be the second owner and the parts warranty will be voided? Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

Since it is so close to the two year interval I'd want the service thrown in at that price. What the reg originally sold for means nothing if something happens to it a week after you buy it. And you can buy a complete new reg set for less than that this weekend on many on line sites.

The price for the reg in this configuration is pretty adequate. XTX200 does have an advantage over the other apekses as it comes with an FSR 1st that has a replacable seat.
It is possible to get a new XTX50 for around $500 with parts for life. For another $100 you can possibly get an octo.
1. The replacable seat could be thing of the past. I remember someone had mentioned that all the latest(soon to be) Apeks 1st stage will come with the replacable seat(ARCAP). So there might be clearance sale!
2. There is NOT much difference(performance) between XTX50 and the 200. I would rather have the new one.

Hold on to your cash.

1. The replacable seat could be thing of the past. I remember someone had mentioned that all the latest(soon to be) Apeks 1st stage will come with the replacable seat(ARCAP). So there might be clearance sale!
2. There is NOT much difference(performance) between XTX50 and the 200. I would rather have the new one.

Hold on to your cash.

Oh thats good to hear!

I have a slightly different take on it. First off, there is nothing wrong with a console, that is personal choice. While I do prefer my computer wrist mounted, I like the compass console mounted. It's one less thing to strap on or keep up with besides, you are going to have to have 50% of the console regardless, you still need an SPG and I prefer to have mine in some kind of rubber protective case. I usually keep either an analog depth gauge or another computer in the console as well so when....not if but when my computer fails it does not end the dive or worse a dive trip.

The next issue is the total ownership cost. While you will not get "free" parts if you but used, there is more to it. Those "free" parts come with a requirement to service the reg every year (just looked up the warranty, you need to service the 2nds each year and have the first checked and the filter replaced the first year and a full rebuild the next....all of which will cost you a labor charge), that labor you are going to have to pay regardless of warranty so the real difference is how much the parts alone cost AND how often you decide to have the reg serviced. How much this is going to cost you depends on shop labor rates but odds are they are in the $25 per stage range. Just as an example lets say your shop will check the first and swap the filter for free (not likely), the service cost will be $50 year 1 and $75 year 2. In 2 years you have $125 in labor you will pay regardless of warranty. Now assume the parts are $75 for the 3 stages. If you service your reg every other year your cost will be $0 year 1 and $150 for year 2, a $25 cost saving with the warranty. A little money but if your shop charges more per stage or charges for the semiannual first stage check your likely at a break even at best. Not a huge savings esp. if you have to drive a long ways (gas cost and your time) to drop off the reg for service. Even if you are savings $25 or more per year, it's going to take a long time to eat up the $300 to $500 dollars you saved by buying used. While it may be a controversial issue and I certainly don't suggest that you should without serious thought, it's worth noting that most of us who DIY regs go more than 2 years between service.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom