Advice: Oahu in August

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsteding

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
O'Hana-

I'm going to be in Oahu the third week in August for a conference at Turtle Bay Resort. The conference is Monday-Thursday, I am planning on coming over for the weekend before.

I've been to Oahu a few times to surf, twice on the north shore, once on the south and west sides, this may be more of a diving weekend for me. Any suggestions on where to set up camp for a weekend?

Also, if people are willing to show me around, that would be awesome. As some of you know, I lean towards the GUE/DIR side of things, but am willing to dive with anyone that is safe and believes in team/buddy diving.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

-Doug

Campcamp or hotel camp?

Wildcard:
Campcamp or hotel camp?

Ha, funny. In the past I've literally camped on the beach and eaten spam and mac and cheese (and lived to tell the tale). I'm older, more into comfort, so make this hotel camp . . . more of a base to do something interesting for a few days.

I've done Waikiki in a previous life, more interested in unwinding somewhere. Getting some dives in would be good, and if I can find a good longboard I'll do some surfing. I'm not opposed to something different, unusual or interesting for a couple days-even something like a weekend boat trip to some of the more remote dive sites out there.

Brainstorming here, obviously. Trying to approach that weekend a little out of the box.

How about a B&B on the north shore? The only place on the Isle I realy like, other than my boat. SCUBA, surf, quiet. good eats, not far from the chaos that is Honolulu.
I was hoping you were not thinking about camp camping. Not real nice here if your not a "local"...Went once and my GF got stabed....OK, she stabed herself on accident but still......

Wildcard:
How about a B&B on the north shore? The only place on the Isle I realy like, other than my boat. SCUBA, surf, quiet. good eats, not far from the chaos that is Honolulu.
I was hoping you were not thinking about camp camping. Not real nice here if your not a "local"...Went once and my GF got stabed....OK, she stabed herself on accident but still......

I know what you mean. About ten years ago I camped out towards Dillingham airfield on the beach. I'm happy to be alive . . . but we got some great waves.

A B&B might be a good option. I may also be trolling around here looking for fellow SB'ers to go on a dive with, I will, of course always return the favor for those of you that find yourselves in Seattle and wanting to sample the local diving . . .

If I am around the 3rd week of August I'll invite you to go diving with us...of course by then I will probably have forgotten this post or be on business in some other country

Scuba and Dream:
If I am around the 3rd week of August I'll invite you to go diving with us...of course by then I will probably have forgotten this post or be on business in some other country

I'll make a note and bug you as I get closer, this is more of a brainstorm thread . . . if it works out I'd love to get a dive in with your crew.

-Doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom