Advice needed - buying bcd/reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

atpooh

New
Reaction score
Hello there!

Am a new diver (having chalked up only 17 dives so far) but am so totally into it! =) Since am in for the long run, am thkg of buying my own bcd/reg set but I don't know much.

What would you recommend for a new female diver who doesn't have a big budget to blow?? =)

Any input's greatly appreciated!

Cheerios!

Hi there!
Welcome to the wonderful world of being "totally into it."
My bride, the Lovely Young Kat, has a Seaquest Diva QD that she claims is the finest ladies' BC there is. I have heard this same report from other Diva owners, so I feel pretty confident that it's a good one.
As for regulators, my personal opinion of the "best bang for the buck" is the AquaLung Titan. Not only is it an excellent reg at a good price, it is one you can get serviced almost anywhere in the world if you ever have a problem with it.
Now, that said, there are other excellent brands of both BC and regulator - so if your local dive shop recommends other stuff I'd take a very hard look at that, too.
Rick

My other half likes her Zegal Zena.
It is a BC made for women. Zeagle
I myself like Apeks for a regulator. We both have ATX200, but there are cheaper modles that are great to use. Apeks

cool... I love buying new equipment... I have heard good things about the Seaquest Diva, and I have heard some good things about the Scubapro Ladyhawk.... if you can try them both out it would be a good idea.... reg's well I like my Scubapro mk20/s600 very easy for breathing and very good set up.. but it is going to cost ya.... Just go to your LDS and try different gear and see what you like the best.

Rich :mean:

atpooh - you've got 17 dives...what equipment have you used already that you really like?? That's how I made my decison...when I started diving, a friend of mine loaned my his spare poseidon reg and spare scubapro rectek...i promptly fell in love =)

I dived as much different gear as I could before making my purchases...rented from the dive shop, borrowed friends gear. It helps to hook up w/ a dive club with nice people, they are nice about letting you try things out.

Give it a shot, see what works for ya. That's always the best way.

My wife has a Scubapro Ladyhawk and loves it. It's Scubapro's women-cut BC. It's a very comfortable and well constructed BC. It's a back inflator so it keeps the material away from her chest and sides, something many women complain about with a jacket style BC.

Of course, BC's are very "personal" items -- no brand can fit everybody the same. So try on a few different ones and see what works best. No different than running shoes.

My wife and I both use Oceanic reg's. I use the Delta 3 and she has the Gamma 2. Very reasonable prices and fantastic performance. Oceanic's are constantly very highly rated by various publications. They are also well known for being reliable.

Thx...Doug

atpooh once bubbled...
Hello there!

Am a new diver (having chalked up only 17 dives so far) but am so totally into it! =) Since am in for the long run, am thkg of buying my own bcd/reg set but I don't know much.

What would you recommend for a new female diver who doesn't have a big budget to blow?? =)

Any input's greatly appreciated!

Cheerios!

I had a blast shopping for my kit! I also have a Diva, but mines the LX...I absolutely love it. As a reg I use an Apex ATX50 as my primary, and a TX20 as my octo.

You might want to also stick your head in the woman's section of the board....there's a bunch of info re: BC's for women.

Peace,
Cathie

Omicron gives you good advice.
I got the Zeagle Zena for my daughter. It is specially cut for women and has worlds of adjustments that men's BC'd just do not have.
Her reg is a Sherwood Magnum.
Norm

Back
Top Bottom