Advice for tropical singles kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

charlier

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I know that my query has been asked and answered numerous times, but I would like to get some input on using singles. I live and dive in tropical SE Asia waters. Here, I typically use 11l Al singles, on occasion a 15l Al single. With a neutrally buoyant vest/hoody, I use 2 wts or 4 lbs. With a 3 mm full wetsuit, I use 3 wts. You can see the progression, with a 5 mm, 4 wts.

I worry that I might be negatively buoyant with my vest/hoody using a std size Al plate, simple DIR webbing (no pads) a 30 lb wing and STA (e.g., Halycon..) with an AL single? In my quest to keep my life simple, I prefer to use the same BP with doubles and a larger lift capacity wing. Since its hard for me to try before I purchase, I worry about having to add air to my wing for neutral buoyancy using singles. Suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
AL doubles or steel? I.e which tanks for doubles.
A simple solution (with double AL's is an AL backplate and add a halcyon soft v weight to adjust as needed between the wetsuit thicknesses. The soft v can carry upto 14 lbs with 7.25" tanks (use soft weights to get this much in there)
For steels and wetsuits I personally use the faber lp85's (7" tank) but you will need to decide the right tank for you. One bp/w and 2 wings and your done. I'm floaty so I use a SS bp/w and do the above usually with 5mm + suits if I dive wet.

What a fast response. I am not sure that I am very clear with my question.My question is for aluminium singles with AL backplate. I worry that with the AL backplate+kit, the kit will weigh too much. In SE Asia, aluminium singles are the commonly available, so there is not much choice for tanks.

With AL singles, I rather not have to put gas in my wing to stay neutral. Do you think that this is possible with such minimum exposure protection? FYI, with twin AL80's and AL backplate, I sink like a rock, Thus, I always always have to add some gas in my wing.

In Thailand and Caribbean recreational diving Single (AL 80) I usually wear a full length neutrally buoyant Lavacore, Scubapro neoprene booties and Hollis F2 fins.

BC is a Halcyon Eclipse with full size aluminum backplate.

In this configuration I do not need any weights and can just hold a safety stop with the AL80 down to 10 bar (in a controlled environment for buoyancy checking - not as a general diving habit).

I opted against using the same rig for technical diving. On double tank dives I typically will be in the water deeper or be exposed to to water for longer run-times so I need more thermal protection, more weights etc so I have an Explorer with a steel plate for that.

OP, why is it hard for you to try before you buy ? If you are in Washington state or Singapore, there are good dive shops in both locations who might be able to put something together for you before you buy.

In Thailand and Caribbean recreational diving Single (AL 80) I usually wear a full length neutrally buoyant Lavacore, Scubapro neoprene booties and Hollis F2 fins.

BC is a Halcyon Eclipse with full size aluminum backplate.

In this configuration I do not need any weights and can just hold a safety stop with the AL80 down to 10 bar (in a controlled environment for buoyancy checking - not as a general diving habit).

I opted against using the same rig for technical diving. On double tank dives I typically will be in the water deeper or be exposed to to water for longer run-times so I need more thermal protection, more weights etc so I have an Explorer with a steel plate for that.

OP, why is it hard for you to try before you buy ? If you are in Washington state or Singapore, there are good dive shops in both locations who might be able to put something together for you before you buy.

I am based out of Singapore. With AL doubles, 3mm wetsuit, and AL wing, I do not need any wts. At 3m and say 40bar in an AL80, I will rapidly sink. This is with Halcyon Evolve wing.

So I might be able to use a standard size Halcyon Eclipse, STA, AL80, and a neutrally buoyant vest/hoody without added air to the wing. I also use F2 fins with booties, but fine that they are a bit underpowered with doubles. Perhaps this is technique related more than due to my fins.

Don't get freaked out about having to add a little gas to your wing at the start of the dive. To be balanced at the end of the dive you should be a tad negative at the beginning.

But if you are in need of cutting excess weight don't forget the cam bands and STA. The metal Halcyon cam bands are heavy and so too is the Alu STA. When I am in my true summer rig I use with my 30 Eclipse an old plastic Dive Rite STA with the generic "plastic" buckle cam bands.

AL plate is about 2lb on land. In water, it actually become (2.7-1)/2.7 = 62% of the weight in land, where 2.7g/cm^3 is density of AL. 1g/cm^3 is density of water. So a 2lb AL plate is about 1.2lb negative buoyant only. it hardly makes difference.

Al plate with 23# wing, sharkskin, F2 fins, neoprene booties, scubapro tech shorts, a dive-rite slimline can light, and all the usual (knife, SMB, wetnotes etc) is my tropical kit. Paired with an Ali 80 I find it perfect - can hold a stop on fumes, can easily swim it up, can pretty much dive without using the wing much at all. I do however use Delrin cam bands, no STA etc to save weight.

Hi all - Thanks for the comments. My guess is that I will only have to use one 900 gm weight with the 30 Eclipse. Too bad Dive Rite does not sell the plastic STA, but their metal STA seems a bit lighter than the Halycon. I am a bit confused about using the 30 Eclipse without a STA? Also, where might I find Delrin Cam bands? Agreed, the guys and girls from Living Seas are great. On other question, does anyone have any problems taking off a properly adjusted 30 Eclipse in the water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom