Advice for first time down with a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my case I had it on my arm with the wrist strap, but that's not secure in a ripping current when you are hanging on a line and your arm is pointing down current. Besides that

a) my camera didn't float
b) a boat picking up 15 divers in those conditions is not going to unmoor to go looking for camera.

Finally, straps break.
Ok that's when I think I would have clipped it to my BC, but all cameras need to float - get the orange float strap for future cameras. I've been on a NC wreck diving boat with 20 that followed currents after the last diver was aboard to track a floater successfully.

Ok that's when I think I would have clipped it to my BC, but all cameras need to float - get the orange float strap for future cameras. I've been on a NC wreck diving boat with 20 that followed currents after the last diver was aboard to track a floater successfully.

No sh!t. My point was I didn't have a way to clip it to my BC which I highly recommend.

They are right in regards to gaining more diving experience before diving with a camera.

That being said, I suggest using the camera in a pool or water environment so the magnification and color loss can be better understood with your camera and strobe. The biggest problem I see is the diver being too far from the subject due to water magnification. As an example, your arm is maybe 2 feet long and can be used for reference when measuring, but even then, the light has to go from the camera to the subject and back to the camera again, so you have over 4 feet of water and are already loosing color. A camera strobe is only effective for a few feet in water.

I can’t count the number of times I have handed my camera to a divemaster for a photo of my wife and I, and he moves back so far the photo has no color. I motion for them to get closer but without camera experience or training they don’t want to get close enough.

That being said, I suggest using the camera in a pool or water environment so the magnification and color loss can be better understood with your camera and strobe. The biggest problem I see is the diver being too far from the subject due to water magnification.
I really think a new camera owner can get some good practice shoot night pics without strobe. My bud shot some pics with his strobe turned off last week but I still pulled some out on editing with Irfanview - a free photo program, but it has a hell of a learning curve. I also pulled out some pics he shot in cave on Auto setting, but not well. Using the right setting helps, and land practice is great.

I added a coiled lanyard that stays clipped off and I use a wrist strap. If it floated, I would add the orange float too! I really hate loosing stuff!

Back
Top Bottom