Advice for first time down with a camera

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RichBolduc

Registered
Reaction score
Well I just got my camera in last week and I'm taking it down with my for my Wreck class this weekend. Is there anything in particular I should know or worry about? It's a DC1200 Elite system. First dive will be about 130', then the next two will be around the 100' marks. How do you guys carry the camera system when you're not using it? Is there an easy/secure way to attach it to a BC?

Thanks in advance,
Rich

Rich, I am pretty new to diving myself (@ 92) and it looks like you are just starting out... The biggest problem I have seen with new divers is they do not have the ability to properly control their buoyancy!!! They can't keep off the reef, they can't stay on the picture, trim is all over the place, they don't know how to back fin, they are up, down, left, right, sideways!!! They just do not have enough experience to work a camera well...

If your taking a wreck class then maybe you might want to focus on the class instead of worrying about your camera bobbing about. If your going to be penetrating then your not going to want it "just" tether to your harness your going to want it secured well... but I say this more as with common sense rather than actual experience doing wrecks. Maybe your only going to observe the wreck from above and from the sides but with less than 25 dives and heading down to 130' you may already have enough on your plate...

My advice (new guy to new guy) is to focus on your class while your down it the water. When you have time to play, work on your buoyancy and working the camera in the pool or lake. Granted, the lake maybe poor vis but it lets you work on taking pictures, both close up and with some distance...

Best to you...

I concur with Lee. I'd say your average diver should have 50 dives or so before they think about bringing a camera along. It's a lot of extra task loading. I've got a bit over 200 dives and probably 100 or more with a camera along and I wouldn't bring a camera on that dive:

1) First dive of a trip: check
2) Deep, perhaps deepest you've been: check
3) Training dive where you are supposed to be learning something: check

I usually don't bring a camera on dives with any of those three qualities. No way I'd bring one on a dive with all of them. You can think about bringing it on the 2nd or 3rd dives if you are not penetrating or using a reel at all and you feel comfortable on the first.

To answer your actual question :D 36" Quick Release Coil Lanyard with Brass Clip and SS Split Ring is what I use. It has a nice secure, non-suicide clip. And it has proper quick release not some funky magnet clip.

yeah a lot of that make sense... I haven't had much buoyancy issues yet with the other dives I've done in the gulf. I can usually stay within 2'-3' of where I want to be with breathing. As for penetration, we're going in. This is the specialty class PADI offer's. I figure since I've gone in to a few of the wrecks down here already, I should probably get certified for it.

As for the lakes, are you crazy.. there are gators in lakes down here :p lol

Practice shoot & editing pics on land, preferably in low light situations. Insure the camera but I would not suggest diving it until you have more experience with problem solving on dives.

When you do dive it, keep the wrist strap secure. You haven't noticed the BC clip on it? A float strap is also a good tool.

If it is a wreck class ,then you will not be allowed to carry the camera .If you are allowed to take the camera the instructor may be violating standards.I do not allow any unecessary gear to be carried that is not used for the requirements of the course.
As to how to carry the camea on future dives, carry itin your hand,no tethers.A tether gets in the way and if you rely on it for sure the camera will be lost or damaged from hanging on it.Using cameras for 40 years,never used a tether ,never lost a camera.

oly5050user: As to how to carry the camea on future dives, carry itin your hand,no tethers.A tether gets in the way and if you rely on it for sure the camera will be lost or damaged from hanging on it.Using cameras for 40 years,never used a tether ,never lost a camera.

Good Idea as I am one for one... One tether used one camera lost!!! :mad::mad::mad:

How can you guys lose cameras tied to your bodies? Get the orange float strap so you can see it floating at least.

In my case I had it on my arm with the wrist strap, but that's not secure in a ripping current when you are hanging on a line and your arm is pointing down current. Besides that

a) my camera didn't float
b) a boat picking up 15 divers in those conditions is not going to unmoor to go looking for camera.

Finally, straps break.

Back
Top Bottom