Advice for cleaning wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ECPaul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We just got back from a week of wearing our 3mm wetsuits while whitewater rafting. (they have other uses than scuba diving!!!) is the best way to clean it to soak it in a warm tub? could you use a disinfectant such as Lysol, or would that harm the neoprene? Any help is appreciated.

Any surf shop or LDS, or online, should have shampoo that works well for dive gear.

Baby shampoo would probably do the trick, too, but they do have specialized stuff that supposedly works well.

I use regular hair shampoo (because it is a mild soap). I am not recommending this, but I often put my Hendersons in the dryer on lowest heat and they come out great. Especially when I have a turn around dive the next day and want them dry.

I have used woollight in the past on my booties and hood. It des not effect the taped and glued areas and sure gets out the tink. Also, Dr Bronner's magic all natural soap in peppermint works wonders. You want soemthing that is mild but will still be able to kill odor causing bacteria.

Flora:
'Sink the Stink' works great on anything water related. Sold at any dive shop.

Heather

I use Sink the Stink too and it works great. It's a natural enzyme-based formula that disinfects and deodorizes your wetsuit, BC, etc., and leaves everything with a fresh "new gear" smell. Most dive shops carry it.

Any shampoo will work in most cases. I usually use J&J baby shampoo since I have that around for defog.

In more severe cases, Sink-the-Stink works well, although I don't like the residual odor it leaves.

MiraZyme is a similar enzyme based cleaner that I prefer for hard to destink gear. It is sold in most outdoor shops, since it is good not only for neoprene, but also things like sleeping bags, tents, and even those really and truly nasty gym bags.

I use dishwash soap because I assume it is mild, and I add some lysterine. Works well as far as I can tell.

I use Lavender scented Palmolive dish detergent or a mild shampoo. I don't use alot, just enough to make a little suds. My gear doesn't smell funky.

After our last trip, I used Simple Green to wash all of our gear, then did a final rinse of our wetsuits in a tiny bit of Downy. Hopefully I'm not destroying anything...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom