Advanced/Technical diving and mechanical aptitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parameters of the coupled system of differential equations representing tissue loading are indeed generated by numerical analysis. Fortunately, if tissues are not considered highly coupled, and are assumed to be "linear" ( as far as Diff-eqs go), it's easy to solve those equations and use exponential functions with half-times. The statement that tissue loading is changing at a rate determined by the difference of the tissue and ambient partial pressures is the statement of a differential equation.

Correct. The equations are solved via DFQ and the numbers are generated by numerical analysis.

Do your self is something vintage divers are very good at because we have to be, modern repair techs and LDS's either can't or won't work on old gear.
It is not uncommon for the vintage diver to make no longer available regulator and valve parts or modify currently available parts to be able to retro fit them into a regulator. Common generic parts such as springs can be speced out and replacements attained at industral suppliers such as McMaster-Carr.
Right now vintagedoublehose.com is selling a do it yourself double hose regulator kit, all the parts, you put it together.

http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=388

Do your self is something vintage divers are very good at because we have to be, modern repair techs and LDS's either can't or won't work on old gear.
It is not uncommon for the vintage diver to make no longer available regulator and valve parts or modify currently available parts to be able to retro fit them into a regulator. Common generic parts such as springs can be speced out and replacements attained at industral suppliers such as McMaster-Carr.
Right now vintagedoublehose.com is selling a do it yourself double hose regulator kit, all the parts, you put it together.

Do It Yourself DA Aqua-Master [Do It Yourself DA] - $175.00 : Vintage Double Hose!, Your online source for all things related to vintage diving
sold out .. but this is VERY interesting ... Double Hose Explorer Kit - $250.00 : Vintage Double Hose!
and you'll get $200 back for it if you decide to get another of his regulators later .. what a deal

Correct. The equations are solved via DFQ and the numbers are generated by numerical analysis.

All of that was quite beyond my mathematical skill set :idk:

I work for dive shop and have started rebuilding regs from several manufacturers such as Atomic, US Divers/Aqualung/Apex, Oceanic, Tusa, Sherwood, Dive Rite, OMS, Aeris as well as full face masks. It's a fairly simple process until you start branching out to odd regs such as the Micra ADJ and the Apex style 2nd stages that just suck to assemble. I've found that many different manufacturers use similar parts and technology to make a durable reg. The main thing to look for when you get it serviced is to make sure it's been tested on a flow bench to ensure proper flow.

Here, Read this:
Demystifying Regulator Repairs

Well inspired by this thread I know own a shifter, a set of allen keys, a pointy stick to take off o-rings (not sure of technical name...) and can now change my hoses and do minor repairs :) Small steps :rofl3:... but last weekend I had a number of failures of gear:
-inner DIN o-ring not seated in a first stage
-busted o-ring on inflator hose
-busted HP hose
-leaking SPG

The first two were problems in gear that I had borrowed for the day that I discovered the night before but didn't know how to fix. The third I was unlucky and the fourth was due to me not screwing my new gauge on correctly when I was setting it up. :blush: And I learned how to fix them all, this is probably very easy for most but I'm just learning :)

Be interested to know what other tools would be handy for my save a dive kit and other types of repairs I should be learning how to fix?

Deep Sea Supply valve and inflator tools!

I just took a tech gear class last month at the LDS. I learned how to rebuild 1st and 2nd stages in an evening. Then the next week dropped my regs off for yearly servicing in which the owner of the LDS did one and I did the other. It is really alot simpler than one would expect.

We are gearing up for living on a sailboat and it was but one of the many classes we have taken inorder to be self sufficient while at sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom