Advanced/Technical diving and mechanical aptitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Some recent conversations with different divers have brought up an issue that I never gave much thought to before. Maybe it's because I've always been mechanically inclined, and have a basic working knowledge in a lot of different areas including electronics.

I've noticed that more people tend to be moving towards more advanced or technical diving with absolutely no clue about how the equipment works. I'm not talking understanding the algorithm on a deco computer, I mean more basic stuff.

Some examples:

Don't know how to use a multimeter to check the charge level on an HID light. Also don't understand how to troubleshoot basic charging problems to determine if its a bad battery, bad charger, faulty connection, etc. Same thing goes for scooters.

Don't understand how a regulator works enough to take the cover off and fix minor issues, free flows, etc.

Don't understand basics such as o-ring placement and care for dive lights, scooters, computers, etc. or the differences between static and dynamic o-rings.

All of these are related to recent failures that I'm aware of, that were preventable if the user understood some of the basics of mechanical or electrical operation. I'm somewhat amazed that people at this level are placing so much trust in equipment when they don't understand how it works or how to take care of it.

So I'm curious. How many of you doing advanced dives (including deco, overhead, multiple gasses, etc.) rely on someone else for basic mechanical upkeep and repair and trust it's right and how many of you do it yourself and double check any "professional repairs" that you have done before diving?

Some recent conversations with different divers have brought up an issue that I never gave much thought to before. Maybe it's because I've always been mechanically inclined, and have a basic working knowledge in a lot of different areas including electronics.

I've noticed that more people tend to be moving towards more advanced or technical diving with absolutely no clue about how the equipment works. I'm not talking understanding the algorithm on a deco computer, I mean more basic stuff.

Some examples:

Don't know how to use a multimeter to check the charge level on an HID light. Also don't understand how to troubleshoot basic charging problems to determine if its a bad battery, bad charger, faulty connection, etc. Same thing goes for scooters.

Don't understand how a regulator works enough to take the cover off and fix minor issues, free flows, etc.

Don't understand basics such as o-ring placement and care for dive lights, scooters, computers, etc. or the differences between static and dynamic o-rings.

All of these are related to recent failures that I'm aware of, that were preventable if the user understood some of the basics of mechanical or electrical operation. I'm somewhat amazed that people at this level are placing so much trust in equipment when they don't understand how it works or how to take care of it.

So I'm curious. How many of you doing advanced dives (including deco, overhead, multiple gasses, etc.) rely on someone else for basic mechanical upkeep and repair and trust it's right and how many of you do it yourself and double check any "professional repairs" that you have done before diving?

The industry scares divers to avoid such activity and to utilize them for all "proprietary complicated technical work". By the way, what is the diffirence between static and dynamic 0-rings? Are mine OK? :idk:

You do not need to be a mechanical engineer to manage the assembly plant, solid background does help but you can survive without it. More important than that I think is ability to see the risks and do contingency planning. Having both abilities is of cause the best and allows to reduce the cost associated with contingency planning and possibly allow you to do more. As an example being capable to do field repairs to the light will allow you to bring spares instead of the whole light but if you cannot do that the backup light option will work as well.

In fact that kind of abstraction layering allows people to concentrate on their level of responsibilities better.

The industry scares divers to avoid such activity and to utilize them for all "proprietary complicated technical work". By the way, what is the diffirence between static and dynamic 0-rings? Are mine OK? :idk:

Simplified explanation: Static o-rings are between parts that don't move, like the lid of an HID cannister. Dynamic o-rings seal between moving parts, possibly some backup lights that you twist on/off.

I would love to know how to service my own regs but I don't so I have to rely on someone who is certified to do so. After some recent issues I have had I did buy an IP gauge to check the 1st stage with. I have always breathed from both regs to make sure they are working properly before a dive but recently I had another incident where even though I was able to breathe from my primary at depth it got harder to breathe so I turned the dive and took it back to the dive shop and using a gauge they determined that the cracking pressure was off. He gave me some tips on checking it myself. It has certainly made me more aware.

I would love to know how to service my own regs but I don't so I have to rely on someone who is certified to do so. After some recent issues I have had I did buy an IP gauge to check the 1st stage with. I have always breathed from both regs to make sure they are working properly before a dive but recently I had another incident where even though I was able to breathe from my primary at depth it got harder to breathe so I turned the dive and took it back to the dive shop and using a gauge they determined that the cracking pressure was off. He gave me some tips on checking it myself. It has certainly made me more aware.

So what is keeping you from servicing your own regs?

I'm not suggesting that every diver should know how to rebuild their regs or rewind the motor on a DPV. Rather, that people who are forging ahead with more technical aspirations should have enough knowledge to make a basic assessment of gear and whether it's fit to dive, rather than jumping in and hoping it doesnt fail.

I'm not suggesting that every diver should know how to rebuild their regs or rewind the motor on a DPV. Rather, that people who are forging ahead with more technical aspirations should have enough knowledge to make a basic assessment of gear and whether it's fit to dive, rather than jumping in and hoping it doesnt fail.

Based upon your experience what source of training is recomended for general knowledge and repair of regulators?

Back
Top Bottom