Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you did a PPB dive? If so, I'm genuinely curious as to why you'd do a PPB dive for this particular student.

In fact I didn't. He opted to do a drysuit specialty instead.

R..

Last edited by a moderator:
In fact I didn't. He opted to do a drysuit specialty instead.

R..

Oh crap, sorry Ray, I must have clicked on edit instead of reply. Unfortunately there's no undo option for that. Sorry.

R..

Reactions: RJP
Hi,
Is AOW actually worth taking? Aside from the skills will it make you more confident in the water?
Thanks
Like my underwear: it depends. :D :D :D

Every instructor teaches a slightly different class. I won't take anyone in OW water without a pool session anymore and we'll do remedial configuration, trim, buoyancy and propulsion before we move on. I require my students to learn how to shoot a safety sausage from depth, to dive a pony during their search and recovery dive and they also have to complete a reef.org survey. They have fun, but you're going to get some skills in the process.

Than you for all the replies. I finished my course yesterday. First dive was drift which was my first "real" drift dive. It was good to experience a dive where the current was ripping and there was no need to kick at all. Next was boat which is pretty self explanatory. Deep was my third and most enjoyed dive it really helped confidence wise. Fish ID (not my choice) was next, that was fun and was just looking at different fish. I enjoyed it but did not learn much. Last was navigation. This dive I learned the most in water skills and most important in my opinion. Overall I enjoyed the course and would recommend it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I hope you feel that you got your money's worth. I would not have been enthused to pay for Boat diving as a speciality or Fish ID if that was not your own selection.

Is it just my thinking or is the PADI Advanced course a joke? Basically you could only have 9 dives and have never dove without your instructor present and be called an Advanced diver. 4 dives for your openwater course come back the next weekend and do 5 more dives. Now your an advanced diver . seriously!!! Looking at other agencies. SSI And SDI. You have to have 24 dives and 4 complete specialties to be an Advance Diver. Doesn't that make more since?
Seriously what do you guys think.This is not a PADI bashing post.Just don't understand the reason why they call it advanced. It should be called open water 2 or something llke that

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

It's really not Hawkwood. Your right I should have opened differently. I just been comparing agencies

---------- Post added July 5th, 2015 at 09:26 AM ----------

Exactly Basking Ridge. I guess I missed that one

Is it just my thinking or is the PADI Advanced course a joke? Basically you could only have 9 dives and have never dove without your instructor present and be called an Advanced diver. 4 dives for your openwater course come back the next weekend and do 5 more dives. Now your an advanced diver . seriously!!! Looking at other agencies. SSI And SDI. You have to have 24 dives and 4 complete specialties to be an Advance Diver. Doesn't that make more since?
Seriously what do you guys think.This is not a PADI bashing post.Just don't understand the reason why they call it advanced. It should be called open water 2 or something llke that

The joke seems to be the inability of many people to understand simple English. The PADI course is not "Advanced Diver" but rather "Advanced Open Water Diver"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom