Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haha my PADI card just says Advanced Open Water Diver no reference to beyond at all, but that is a good way to describe it. You will be a better diver then when you did your OW, but and "strictly my opinion" the OW teaches you very little and the AOW teaches you a bit more.

My wife and I just completed our AOW last weekend after about 50 dives. I actually got more from it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Almost all of our previous dives had been in warm, clear salt water with the exception of a few lake dives and a couple of night fresh water dives. We have had a lot of rain here and the lake was 3 feet above it's usual level and vis was much poorer than it was when we did our night dives. Even though we had done several night dives and probably 30 dives of 80 feet or more this was a whole new ball game. The deep dive vis was maybe 4-5 feet and temps dropped from 82 degrees on the surface to mid 50's at depth. It made it a challenge that neither of us encountered before.

My favorite dives were navigation and search and recovery. The poor visability made both interesting. The natural/visual navigation was pretty much impossible but it made the compass work interesting. Search and recovery was a blast....kind of like hide and seek with scuba and a blind fold. :D I can't believe my wife's knot tying was better than mine!

Grammar didn't used to be so confusing for folks when schools still taught how to diagram sentences.

sentencediagrams4.png

Actually I believe it has more to do with definitions. Open Water Diver is now a joke, therefore Advanced Open Water Diver is an advanced joke.

Bob
---------------------------------
That's my point, people, by and large, are not taught that diving can be deadly, they are taught how safe it is, and they are not equipped with the skills, taught and trained to the level required to be useful in an emergency.

AOW is really for anyone who's going to continue diving. I'm sure the diving regulatory bodies would like this to be the starting point, but there's a balance they have to do to with keeping people safe and not pushing people away from learning to dive. If you did your open water and like it and want to keep diving on a relatively regular basis then do your AOW. Like anything, it's more enjoyable when you really know what you're doing. Buoyancy, breathing, really knowing what to do if something goes wrong, knowing your equipment, etc, all make it easier. Easier = more fun.

Bob DBF has a very good point. My basic cert was done by a guy who routinely dives in deep fresh water on tri-mix in a dry suit in low visibility and is wet at least once a week and had something like 500 dives. That guy was an advanced diver. I'm pretty non-advanced but I have the advanced cert and I mostly dive in warm water. I guess PADI has to call it something.

Maybe intermediate open water would be a better vernacular.

Or Open Water 2?
:D

Actually I believe it has more to do with definitions. Open Water Diver is now a joke,

Which is exactly why thousands of new scuba divers die every year.

Oh, wait...

Which is exactly why thousands of new scuba divers die every year.

Oh, wait...

Because they are ill prepared does not mean they will die, but may have a bearing on the number of divers that leave diving.

Bob

I find it very interesting that so many people here waited months or years to get their AOW - my husband and I got our OW cert in September 2013 - we elected at that time to wait and take AOW after we had some more time underwater - we are signed up for AOW next month with a friend who just got his OW last month. Most everyone I have met has done OW and AOW back to back - and I've even heard a couple snickers from dive shop people when we show our OW card (as opposed to an AOW card). I had also been led to believe that without an AOW card no one would allow you to go under - what - 60 feet? Guess that's not always the case...not that it bothers me...I've been to 50' with no problems - but prefer 20-30 feet

I find it very interesting that so many people here waited months or years to get their AOW - my husband and I got our OW cert in September 2013 - we elected at that time to wait and take AOW after we had some more time underwater - we are signed up for AOW next month with a friend who just got his OW last month. Most everyone I have met has done OW and AOW back to back - and I've even heard a couple snickers from dive shop people when we show our OW card (as opposed to an AOW card). I had also been led to believe that without an AOW card no one would allow you to go under - what - 60 feet? Guess that's not always the case...not that it bothers me...I've been to 50' with no problems - but prefer 20-30 feet

Dont take this thread too seriously - some of us are just having fun. That said - I started diving in the late 70's - there was no AOW and the only limits were recreational to 130 feet. So some of us have some fun poking at others - 60 feet is a recommendation it is not a law - that said your comfort level and experience should be considered before you start popping down further... Most of the life and colors that you will find are generally above 50 feet - but after that if you travel you can see some cool stuff at 100 feet or so - some of the artificial reefs (sunken boats) like the Vandenberg come to mind... But that is where the AOW card comes in or Nitrox... And some good natured ribbing about OW divers and yesteryear...

Because they are ill prepared does not mean they will die, but may have a bearing on the number of divers that leave diving.
I saw a study that said that for both surfing and scuba every year something like 30% of participants are doing it for the first time that year.

Anyhow, my opinion is that AOW is basically OW pt 2, so take it as soon as you can fit it in. It's more dives under supervision, and dives doing interesting things.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom