Advanced Open Water with Trim & Buoyancy with Chairman Pete (NetDoc) at Anthony's Key...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We'll cover this in class, but the single most common problem is the diver's inability to hold their compass on their lubber line. Back when compasses were first put on sail boats, most sailors could navigate with them except for the "idiots" which they affectionately called "lubbers". So they added a line on the compass to indicate the center line (direction) of the boat, which they then dubbed the idiot line, or Lubber Line in their venacular. For a diver, this line is still not "lubber proof": you have to center it and keep it level enough to keep working. Next time you hear someone say "land lubber", you'll know just where that word came from: idiots who don't have their sea legs yet! :D :D :D So as you use your compass, remember to center it on the idiot holding the compass. It's not unusual to hear my students giggling as they play with the compass.

so Pete, just for my clarification on compass use, to get an accurate heading you want to be able to have the compass fully extended in front of you - preferably with two hands
Fully extended? Not needed. Centered and aligned with the diver? Essential. Unless the console has a really long hose, it's going to be canted left to right. Unless your arms are alien in dimension, keeping the compass on your wrist will cant the compass from right to left on your left wrist and left to right on your right wrist. The compass' Lubber Line must align with the Lubber holding the compass. I hope that answers the question.

AOW class
1-noj33
2-Leopard dog
3-Lilyan
4-Karen
5-DiverJake
6-
7-
8-

I will update this post when I get your information.

Just 3 spots left! Only 2 weeks to sign-up deadline.

I have an extra compass found @ BHB that I was unable to find an owner for. It's out of a console but if you want to mount it to a slate it would serve the purpose. Free to whoever wants it

Snowdog, if you still have it, I'll take it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom