advanced open water with padi or naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

About the SSI fatality. Not sure if this is an addition from after the fatality, but today the standards state:

EXAMPLE: Skills like ditching and recovering the scuba unit, breathing directly from the cylinder valve, and any ascents without the regulator in the mouth and/or the breathing gas turned off are not endorsed by SSI, and must NOT be taught during SSI training programs.

Maybe agencies should add to their standards "don't be a dumba$$", but that's probably too vague, so breathing from a cylinder, don/doff, doing emergency ascents with the valve closed, etc..

Stupid things that instructors do without checking with their agency (note previous comment about IQs above 50) will probably result in SSI adding to this list.

Of course you would think that anyone who is asked to do this would be thoroughly familiar with CESA and "never hold your breath".
When we did it in my NAUI OW class, we had not yet heard of a CESA.

That's hilarious. I have said nothing of the sort. You may need to re-read my post to improve your comprehension.

If you projected my post onto yourself, then you have evaluated yourself as "incompetent". That came from you, not me.

It's interesting that you did not identify with "some PADI instructors who produce proficient, capable students", but put yourself out of that group.

What is also interesting is that if a newer diver asks for opinions about PADI compared to other agencies, "some" PADI instructors will typically come out swinging, complete with one-off examples. :rofl3:
Thus speaketh a "DIR Practitioner." Who are mere mortals to take exception?

Well, @Ayisha is right. This is hilarious (and the two of us are not exactly friends). To twist her words (oh it is funny how I'm accused of being deceptive) is being disingenuous. Is twisting what people saying a favorite pastime of you two? The only thing she can be faulted for is her observations of NAUI vs PADI trained divers as her observations are statistically insignificant. Just as my observations of the quality of divers from agencies X, Y, and Z. Just as yours are and everyone else's.

When we did it in my NAUI OW class, we had not yet heard of a CESA.

I hadn't heard of a CSEA 'till I was talking to more recently trained divers, SCUBA was the only acronym used when I started diving.

Over the years, I've heard it called Free Ascent, Emergency Ascent, Swimming Emergency Ascent, and it's never to be spoken of again cousin, Buoyant Ascent.

As for the doff and don with ascent to the surface, by the time that was done, the doff and don was second nature and had been done in several forms prior. The class was longer and had 25 to 30 hours of pool time. The amount of time, repetition, and detail working on and repeating skills in the pool, made them easy when done in the NorCal ocean's colder low vis water.

It was a NAUI/PADI class, and since I had been diving for a long time prior, I was able watch the training methods used rather than have all my focus on learning how to dive. The requirements added for me to receive a card had to do with my deportment during class since I was already an advanced diver, rather than inwater skills.

Right. You chose Marine Scientist and "Master" Instructor. Instructor wasn't good enough. Your hubris needed stroking.

If you feel that your opinion is worth less than anyone else's, you might seek help for that.

This thread seems to bring out all the psychological traumas people have suffered. o_O

I hadn't heard of a CSEA 'till I was talking to more recently trained divers, SCUBA was the only acronym used when I started diving.

Over the years, I've heard it called Free Ascent, Emergency Ascent, Swimming Emergency Ascent, and it's never to be spoken of again cousin, Buoyant Ascent.

As for the doff and don with ascent to the surface, by the time that was done, the doff and don was second nature and had been done in several forms prior. The class was longer and had 25 to 30 hours of pool time. The amount of time, repetition, and detail working on and repeating skills in the pool, made them easy when done in the NorCal ocean's colder low vis water.

It was a NAUI/PADI class, and since I had been diving for a long time prior, I was able watch the training methods used rather than have all my focus on learning how to dive. The requirements added for me to receive a card had to do with my deportment during class since I was already an advanced diver, rather than inwater skills.
I assume those forerunner names for CESA meant basically the same thing. No matter what it's called, if you aren't familiar with it you shouldn't be asked to do the ditch & don.
Yes, it's too bad (most) OW courses the last few decades are so much shorter than 25-30 hours.

I assume those forerunner names for CESA meant basically the same thing. No matter what it's called, if you aren't familiar with it you shouldn't be asked to do the ditch & don.

Before the first pool session, Boyle's law had to be understood both in theory and its application to diving. All ascents in the pool would be normal, at the time 60 fpm, so the discussion of emergency ascents was later. Everyone in class was trained and well prepared for the evolution when it happened.

As you say, we had more pool time than most get in the whole class now.

Well, @Ayisha...Is twisting what people saying a favorite pastime of you two?

Yes, definitely. I've seen it many times. Usually perpetually offended and directed at the same few people.
The comments often have no understandable connection to the person's post and are taken personally without the poster mentioning anyone. Same tricks.

...The only thing she can be faulted for is her observations of NAUI vs PADI trained divers as her observations are statistically insignificant. Just as my observations of the quality of divers from agencies X, Y, and Z. Just as yours are and everyone else's.

Yes, sure, but I also stated my experience of courses as "only..." It was clearly anecdotal. Like you said, just like everyone else.

The OP could compare outcomes of the courses, but asked for opinions.

I wonder if the numbers of expelled instructors from each agency levelled out proportionately would give an indication of the incidence of standards violations in each? The ones with the worst consequences at the very least.

Yes, it's too bad (most) OW courses the last few decades are so much shorter than 25-30 hours.
That was certainly a business decision to increase the customer pool

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom