advanced open water with padi or naui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The PADI class is 5 dives, one from each of 5 specialties, which MUST include Deep (100 ft max) and Navigation.
The NAUI class has 6 dives, one each from 6 specialties, which must include Deep (130 ft max), Navigation, and Night.
Which "should" you take? That is up to you. Investigate the instructors and costs available to you.

I'd look at what dives and instructor offers as part of it, and see if these dives really are things you want to/need to learn.

Either way, you'll get deep and nav. PADI instructors can add night (I often do), but to be honest for my students it's more of a "fun" dive to reward them for hard work in my search and recovery dive. (And I think search and recovery is valuable so I don't give students a choice on that.)

If you can get feedback on instructors from prior students, that's awesome. However, for somebody that's not immersed (pun intended) in the local dive community, that may not be possible.

My brother did OW with one and AOW with the other back in the early '80s (can't remember which). He dives well. Other than the instructor, I imagine it doesn't matter which.
But yeah, I'd try to pick dives that either improve safety or diving in general.
It's nice that you have a choice.

Night is not required for NAUI. Like Seawood Doc, I usually include night in my advanced course when teaching. Quite often my students inform me the night dive ends up being the the most enjoyable dive.

As others have mentioned above, NAUI requires six dives, PADI requires five; both require the Deep and Navigation dives, and the others are your choice. Speak with the dive shop/operator and/or the instructor to see how well you click with him/her.

And I think search and recovery is valuable so I don't give students a choice on that.
upload_2021-6-1_21-15-32.png

You sure about that for AOW?

Price and geography is my standard gauge

Cheapest price, with the nicest geography

and if they're throwing in accommodation

Well!

Unlike the SSI AOW, these aren't the full courses, just single dive intros to the subject. The prerequisites for the full courses don't necessarily apply.
I understand what PADI AOW consists of.

I'd check with PADI HQ to ensure there isn't a standards violation unless anyone can cite standards where the first dive of any course can be included in AOW.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom