Advanced Open Water exercises combined with recreational dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewRP2

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
SO is interested in getting her AOW while in FL and I'd like to do some recreational dives (I'm rescue). Do dive shops offer AOW training as a part of a "regular" dive? For example, the navigation exercise takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. Is there any reason why she couldn't do the exercises while I wait or wander around in the area, and then we continue the dive as if were a regular recreational dive? We're not inseparable, but doing 5 separate dives with our limited vacation time together seems unnecessary as long as I'm willing to hang out for a few minutes while they complete their training.

Among other issues that need to be addressed, first and foremost, unless you're solo certified and have the necessary gear, you'll need a dive buddy.

You need to talk to the dive shop and instructors you are thinking to work with for the AOW. The Nav dive, in particular, takes much more the 5-10 mins...some cannot complete it on a single tank of air! It is probably the only one of the five dives that cannot easily be combined with a tour. Peak Performance Buoyancy can also take an entire dive, depending on the skills of the diver. It is hard to generalize. It is best to think of your "regular" dive as being added onto the AOW dive, rather than vice versa. If your SO is 1-on-1 with an instructor, and she is competent at the skills of the five dives, you mostly can go diving with her...but the instructor will need to tag along for some of the dives. It can't be a training dive and the instructor leaves her alone with you to go play.

Just ask the shop..
Its their call but you should be able to find a shop in S FL that will allow you to tag along with your SO during AOW dives.. The instructor will do their thing and you can be nearby...

Depends on how seriously the instructor takes the AOW class.

For me the training parts of the dive did indeed take 5-10 minutes.
Deep Dive: Only about 60 seconds to write the colors down on the slate, and then compare depth gauges.
Navigation: We attempted a square course, but the current in PDC made it look like an EKG line.
PPB: I already had good trim, I just had to touch the weight with my reg without paddling.
Fish Identification: That's a fish, that's a fish, that isn't a fish.
Drift: I shot the bag at the end of the dive.

So basically talk to the shop doing the class.

Based on PADI standards:
If you are not with another buddy so that you can do your own dive while "just happening" to be in the same area to observe, then to be part of the group doing the class you will be under the supervision of the instructor, who is responsible for you. You will also be included in their supervision maximum diver count. Which may not be a big deal, but if it is a full class and you occupying a spot that could otherwise go to another diver, or bringing the count up to where another instructor or DM is required, expect to asked to cough up some $$ too.
I would say that with or without another buddy, to later join in as your SO's buddy for the tour portion of the dive you will need to be in the student head count. I don't think that kind of grey area is clearly defined in standards, but I do think I know what the answer would be if I called in with that question.
And I fully agree that the Navigation dive is the one most likely to consume the whole dive. If I have more than two students, I routinely park a pair on the surface and swap them out for portions of the dive so we don't risk having to get more air to finish the dive.

Like others said, check it out with the dive shop in advance. IMHO, FL (SE/Keys) is a great place to do this. Your SO can do their thing with the instructor and you can dive with an insta-buddy. It's good experience. Best case is you'll both have great dives. If not, you'll realize why you like diving with your SO. Win-win. :)

Based on PADI standards:
If you are not with another buddy so that you can do your own dive while "just happening" to be in the same area to observe, then to be part of the group doing the class you will be under the supervision of the instructor, who is responsible for you. You will also be included in their supervision maximum diver count. Which may not be a big deal, but if it is a full class and you occupying a spot that could otherwise go to another diver, or bringing the count up to where another instructor or DM is required, expect to asked to cough up some $$ too.
I would say that with or without another buddy, to later join in as your SO's buddy for the tour portion of the dive you will need to be in the student head count. I don't think that kind of grey area is clearly defined in standards, but I do think I know what the answer would be if I called in with that question.
And I fully agree that the Navigation dive is the one most likely to consume the whole dive. If I have more than two students, I routinely park a pair on the surface and swap them out for portions of the dive so we don't risk having to get more air to finish the dive.
These are the rules of course. Also agree to discuss what you want to do with the shop. I'm not sure exactly what you want to do. If you go your own way and aren't very close to or technically "part" of the group then you're probably just diving solo, so there'd be no rules. If you want to tag along with the group the whole 5 AOW dives or buddy up with your SO after the skills parts are over that's another situation.
You didn't ask, but I would advise your SO to get AOW locally if possible and avoid these technicalities and just go diving on the vacation.

When I am an AOW instructor, I want that student for the whole dive. I map out what will be accomplished on the 5 dives and schedule a progression through the dives to accomplish those total goals. On each dive, we will do more than minimal skills required for the specific dive. One of my favorite AOW dives is altitude, because there are no required skills on the dive itself, which frees me to plan the dive to emphasize whatever I have determined that student needs the most.

Other instructors may do it differently.

And done properly, the AOW navigation dive takes a long time.

I personally would not take you.
I do not take the view that the AOW is 5 dives with a few skills on each dive.
The AOW is a program and all dives are linked in some way.
The first dive (maybe ppb) will help establish my students baseline, we can improve buoyancy and trim, probably change weighting. Also we will establish a SAC rate for all future dive planning.
Are you going to hang around while this is going on? What happens if I need to split the dive and return to the surface (with safety stop) because I need to instruct my student? You staying down alone?
Now that's just one dive.
A few other issues...
How am I supposed to include you in our dive planning? Should I need to consider your air consumption at the expense of my students training time?
Deep dive..... if you are not AOW qualified you are not going below 60ft with me. My student however is going to 100ft, that's our dive plan. Where does that leave you?
Sorry if this sounds harsh, but I have explained this to many friends and family of prospective students and usually they see this from my point of view.
If as the course progresses and the student is comfortable and they have elected to complete one of the project aware dives where I am not directly teaching underwater then I will allow my student to dive with their buddy BUT the dive route, ndl time, gas consumption, minimum gas etc has to be planned together with their buddy. I provide slates so the plan can be carried on the dive and I make it quite clear that if the plan is not followed then the dive cannot count towards AOW.
I have lost the odd student this way, but honestly very few.
I have also gained students when the would be buddy has decided to join the course.
To be honest, I understand your reasoning, I work on a resort area, on vacation you want to spend as much time together as possible. You are welcome on the same dive boat, doing the same dive site but you will dive with the regular recreational divers led by another instructor.
Enjoy your vacation.

Back
Top Bottom