Advanced Dive Sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajmataz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Maracaibo
Chunca-Kab
Punta Sur
Devils Throat
Barracuda
San Juan

That's generally the list that I'm seeing dive ops distinguish as advanced sites. Can someone describe these sites to me and what makes them so unique? Can only AOW+ divers check these sites out?

:1poke:

Chunca-Kab if this is the same as the southern Chun Chacaab then I didn't find it very advanced.

Punta Sur
Devils Throat
I think these are the same site. It's big draw are swim-throughs. Those on our boat really enjoyed them - you need excellent buoyancy control.

I have just put up a trip report that includes brief mention of some of these sites. It might help a little.

Maracaibo is definitely an advanced site for the depth and unpredictable currents. This dive begins at about 90 ft. The best part of this dive is actually beyond recreational limits.

Chun Chacab is not an advanced site, but there are only a few operators that visit this site due to the distance and surface conditions...and not just any ol captain/divemaster knows where to drop the divers for this dive.

Punta Sur is the name of the reef and Devil's Throat is a specific section of Punta Sur. Punta Sur Cathedrals is also a very nice dive, but rather deep for a total newbie diver. Devil's throat requires excellent air management and buoyancy control, as well as a dive computer and knowing how to use it.

Barracuda and San Juan are in the north. Barracuda is actually considered an expert site due to the depth and potentially ripping curent, as well as surface conditions. San Juan is an advanced dive again due to the potential for very strong currents, but the depth (unless you do the wall) is only 60 to 70 feet max. San Juan is usually done as a second dive after Barracuda. In order to dive these sites, the dive operator must obtain copies of all divers c-cards and submit a formal request to the Harbor Master 24 hours before the dives are planned. They do require AOW or higher, although they do make exceptions for OW divers with experience. Again, you do not want to do this site with just any captain or any divemaster. I would say the captain plays the most important rols for Barrracuda and San Juan. They have to know the area and be very alert following bubbles, or they WILL lose you. Due to the surface conditions, divemasters usually carry a larger surface buoy so theat they are more visible upon surfacing. Next stop from Barracuda is Cuba.

I don't recommend any of these sites for a novice diver. Which c-card you hold is really no indication of what tye of diver you are. I know OW divers who have over 500 or 1000 dives and are much more seasoned than a Rescue diver with 50 dives. Only time and experience in the water will make you an advanced diver, not a c-card.

Know your limits and dive within your limits. Be proficient in the water before you attempt to dive the advanced dives.

Be safe!

Christi:
.........Barracuda and San Juan are in the north. Barracuda is actually considered an expert site due to the depth and potentially ripping curent, as well as surface conditions. San Juan is an advanced dive again due to the potential for very strong currents, but the depth (unless you do the wall) is only 60 to 70 feet max. San Juan is usually done as a second dive after Barracuda. In order to dive these sites, the dive operator must obtain copies of all divers c-cards and submit a formal request to the Harbor Master 24 hours before the dives are planned. They do require AOW or higher, although they do make exceptions for OW divers with experience. Again, you do not want to do this site with just any captain or any divemaster. I would say the captain plays the most important rols for Barrracuda and San Juan. They have to know the area and be very alert following bubbles, or they WILL lose you. Due to the surface conditions, divemasters usually carry a larger surface buoy so theat they are more visible upon surfacing. Next stop from Barracuda is Cuba..........

Be safe!

I agree (Hi Christi). I'm not sure which one of these two I did with Christi, last year. The current was absolutely ripping that day. It was the only "North" dive I have done in Coz to date, simply due to operators not wanting to go out there (I can see why). I personally love that stuff, and have no problems splashing into that! You're virtually flying over the reef. So much so, as my wife remarked, "you don't get much time to view anything." The conditions were on the cusp of a go no-go decision that day, and since at the time it was just the three of us, Raul (Our DM) made the decision to do it if we felt comfortable in doing so, which we did.

We came up, got on the boat and headed south for a much more pleasant and relaxing dive for our 2nd of the day.

Dive easy kids, it's supposed to be fun, relaxing, and first and foremost, SAFE.

Steve

As an aside, Christi would simply NOT let us dive that site until after we had done a few days doing the "less advanced" sites first, and as I understand it, after consulting with Raul as to our performance on those sites first.

North end diving.
bring the tallest or longest safety sausage you can buy.
may even think about flares.
forget the wistle and those little 36 inch sausages,

We did a couple of dives on San Juan reef this past January. The current is much faster then the southern reefs but the dive is great. We didn't find it difficult at all because much of our diving we do up here is actually much faster current "BUT" if you have no experience diving in fast or ripping current then you should stay to the milder reefs until you get comfortable enough with fast current.

I have to agree with Christi, when you are diving the fast reefs the biggest concern to me is the guy tending the boat has to be REAL good. He has to be there when you surface. The captain cannot lose the divers because of fast current.

Christi is spot on in her note. Good descriptions. Good advice.

I would add a couple sites to your list. One is what I know as Columbia South which is just north of Punta Sur. Another is Islelotti (Little Island). You actually go past the south end of the island and follow the coast around past the southern lighthouse. The final one is a more general "diving on the ocean side." Not that many dive ops go over there but if you can be flexible enough to wait for the right weather conditions, you can experience moderate currents and some truly undefiled reefs that compare favorably to dive sites anywhere in the world. Also different ops go to different places over there. One area that we've been to several times that is particularly impressive is just off the shore from the beach club at Playa Bonita.

JK
http://www.mxtravel.com/cozumel/cozumel_diving.html#exotic dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom