Advanced Certifications....Suggestions??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First of all have fun and keep it fun.

Taking classes can be fun as diving is a sport that the more you know the more fun you can have. Whatever class you take make sure you have a competent instructor who routinely makes the type of dives you think you want to amke. Nitrox can be combined with AOW. BUT if you are breathing down your air like a vacuum cleaner because you are new, nervous or just an excited about diving diver then nitrox will add only limited benefits.
Go ahead take the AOW and get some dives under your belt and then go for the rescue. Both are not long classes. The bottom line is get into the water and keep enjoying the experience of diving, don't go anywhere you do not feel comfortable to go. (Do not trust a instructor or divemaster acting as a guide to judge your comfort zone only you know how you feel) You live in a great place for diving so go hit the water, take your classes and build up that experience and comfort level, Good Luck

Probably NOT a "class" anywhere near you, but I highly suggest you spend some time here on SB looking up and reading about "gas management." NWGrateful Diver has written quite a bit about the subject as has Lamont (who has a very good web page on part of the subject).

Rescue IS a good class and Nitrox should really be done if you are going to be anything but a once a year diver.

IF you have the choice, rather than take AOW or such, buy the time of a Cave Instructor to work on trim and buoyancy control (that is, unless there is someone in your area that actually does a class/workshop on trim and buoyancy control). Once you get your trim and buoyancy in good shape, you will find your fun in diving will be significantly enhanced.

I've already arranged to get my advanced open water certification on my trip to Bonaire (or before if time permits) and am curious as to what other additional certifications you would recommend and why. I am currently leaning towards a certification in rescue diving (kinda think this should be mandatory). Your thoughts please...:blinking:

Your inuition is excellent. The rescue course is crucial.

I am an advocate for training. The more training you get, the more comfortable you will be AND your level of situational awareness and safety will increase greatly. A good instructor makes a huge difference and there are many to choose from in your region. Good luck!

I am going to disagree with the others..... get your OW, get your AOW (that makes 9 dives), and then just dive. You need to learn by doing. You need to reach a certain level of comfort in the water as a diver, capable of taking care of yourself, before you go to Rescue which teaches how to rescue someone else. I wouldn't do anything but have fun and dive dive dive in Bonaire.

robin:D

I see what you're trying to say here, and I'm not disagreeing (I was AOW for 12 years before I did Rescue) - but 90% of rescue involves spotting potential problems before they occur and knowing how to react on the surface when problems do arise.
I found that very little of rescue had to do with actual diving (read, underwater) skills.

After going through the class, I was kicking myself for not having taken it right after AOW.

I would highly recommend the rescue class right after AOW. :)

Here is what I have done and my plans. I took OW and completed in October, than I took the Nitrox course (had to learn the tables because of that stupid eRDP) now I am signed up for advanced (this month). Once that is completed, getting some dives in.... lots of dives. Than next year Rescue. After that who knows, just want to be a better safer diver....

Good luck and have fun.

I've already arranged to get my advanced open water certification on my trip to Bonaire (or before if time permits) and am curious as to what other additional certifications you would recommend and why. I am currently leaning towards a certification in rescue diving (kinda think this should be mandatory). Your thoughts please...:blinking:

Figure out what you want to do and see if your current training and/or experience get you there. If not, find the training to match. Be aware that more and more operators ask for AOW by default rather than OW certification.

Congratulations on getting certified! You're gonna love diving! (I hope)

When I was certified (1991) my instructor encouraged us to take a trip or do some diving asap after our initial certification. He thought it a good idea to actually do some diving before moving forward to make sure it was something we would stick with. So after a trip to the Keys and another to the Florida springs, I took my advanced class about 10 months later. Then I followed that with rescue and that's been it for me. I haven't seen the need to do any other certifications. (I could see doing Nitrox if you think you would benefit from that but I haven't felt the need.)

Some people like to continue on with all sort of specialties and become "Master Divers" and that sort of thing and that's fine if you wish to do that but I've seen "Master Divers" with very very few actual dives. They just pay for the courses and get to call themselves "Master Divers". I have known some instructors to push people into signing up for course after course. Just don't get caught up in that unless you really think it's for you. Instead of spending money on more courses, I'd rather spend the money for better equipment.

So my advice would be to dive dive and then dive some more. I believe experience is what helps make any of us become good --- then better --- then the best divers we can be. There is no course substitute for experience in the water.

I think you are right on with your thinking about Advanced and Rescue Courses. Those are the two best courses after your initial class.

Good luck with all your diving!

BDSC

Lets see here, what will you learn,

AOW- More experience with and instructor, Hopefully better buoyancy and trim.

Nitrox- more oxygen, less nitrogen, cost more money, but hey you feel good about it.

Navigation- finding your way is priceless

Deep- for when there is something deep you might want to see.

Rescue- first, you probably can't save anyone. Second, if you learn not to get yourself in trouble trying to save some one it was worth it.

If you don't have one, buy a computer. Then learn everything about it. Some dive stores offer a class, take it. When you are a long way from the surface and it beeps it would be nice to know why.

The rescue class is a must for all. At least thats my take on it. My class thru SSI was the diver stress and rescue. It deals alot with self rescue and prevention of problems. I'm sure it depends on the instructor and the different agencies, but my class was pretty tough, and it should be. My point is, I wouldnt recomend it for all divers right out of ow class. Some wouldnt have a problem, and some would never dive again. I guess that is where a good instructor comes into play, they know how far to "stress" each student. I say again, all divers should take the rescue class offered by their agency. Other classes that I would recomend are Deep, night and limited vis, and advanced navigation, but they are most likely part of your aow anyway.
Safe diving, and keep it fun ! Kenny

Back
Top Bottom