Advance Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dutchman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, is it about the money or what ?

It seems that everywhere I turn, someone is telling me to continue the adventure. Up grade your certification to AOW. Why? If I am not planning on teaching. Is it really about the money or is it really necessary? One will say you get more dive time. Can’t I get that without all the advance teaching? Isn’t experience really a better teacher? What do you think? :07:

Even if you don't plan to teach, advanced is just a way to get more comfortable in the water, try out a few specialties, learn some new things (like search & recovery patterns), and get a cool new c-card.

Also, some dive op's will require you to have an AOW card for deeper or more challenging dives.

I did mine to continue diving with my great instructor but mostly ... because It was great fun ! ... Do it, it was worth every cent to me

DB

I have been on a couple of boats that would not let you do the dives if you didnt have the AOW because the wrecks were way below the depth recommended for OW certs and they were just not going to take on the responsibility.

When I was last in Barbados I was asked for my AOW card before I was allowed to sign up to dive the STAV.

Some will ask....some wont. Some require.....some dont.

Its worth the time and if you are in diving....the cost is minimal. This is not a cheap sport.

rich

Dutchman:
OK, is it about the money or what ?

It seems that everywhere I turn, someone is telling me to continue the adventure. Up grade your certification to AOW. Why? If I am not planning on teaching. Is it really about the money or is it really necessary? One will say you get more dive time. Can’t I get that without all the advance teaching? Isn’t experience really a better teacher? What do you think? :07:

It's about the fact that a lot of OW courses have been whittled down to the bare minimum to survive underwater, due mainly to consumer demand.
IMHO all divers should do OW, Peak Performance Buoyancy, AOW, Navigation and Rescue before I recognise them as a recreational buddy I can depend on.
Thats what I see the OW course should entail...
Enjoy the adventure...

I just consider AOW as the process to reach to Rescue certification that is the most worth to take in the scuba course. I don't think I learned the special skills and things that I can't do by myself with the book and any other resources. In addition, I believe that the rescue should be before AOW.

This was from another post.
FYI, the dives my group did are as follows:
Deep
Navigation
Peek performance
Wreck
Boat
Night
Drift

It was a busy weekend starting Friday night and going all through Saturday and Sunday.

Now my question, how did he learn anythng with all that to take in in 2-3 days?
It took 7 days for me to complete my OW. It was very intensive and the instructor was very detailed.

It's the money, your money going in their pocket.

AOW simply lets you do some dives that OW does not.

This is based on the fact that the operator won't take the OW diver to certain sites.

DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom