Adopt a Soldier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
my advice, support those who are fighting to keep their armored hum-vees and body armor paid for and delivered. We all sent them there unanimously. "Support the Troops" and "Semper FI" is more than a bumper sticker.

A good night's rest keeps their minds clear and their reflexes sharp, so don't make too light of a pillow or a pad. I feel I can speak to this JB is there for the fifth time.

Also, he had weeks where he had only one small MRE per day in Afganistan, so having some easy portable source of calories is important when on missions. Losing 18 pounds and sleeping in the dirt without a coat can put you off your game of staying alive in a big way. If they are "humping it" having a few packages of peanut butter crackers in their packs can make a big difference when your stomach is gnawing.

Now they have coats and food, let's try and keep it that way until we get them out.

This is not political, this is humanitarian for "our tribe".

Good points.

Thanks Catherine! I appreciate the mods keeping this politics free (I don't know what was deleted though, didn't see it).

I don't don't think a bag of M & M's, socks, and shampoo makes a difference. BUT, the support from someone that you don't know goes a long way! When I write a letter, I think oh how boring my life sounds. Well, I've heard that is exactly what is needed. Reminders about 'real life'. I can't afford to buy a 19 y/o a set of body armour, but I can afford to take time from my day to write and put together a little care pack for them to open. Knowing that someone is thinking and praying for your safe return is what counts. (When you have to apologize because your writing is terrible since you are shivering so much, a scarf and wool socks seems like it would be welcomed.)

By the way, I'm one of those people who loves to open all the useless little gifts in my stocking on Christmas morning (who cares if I need them or not). :D

My Dad was a veteran of Korea and Vietnam. I can't imagine having to come home to a nation that spit on you.

John, thanks for the link; it's a good one. I like the fact that it says I should NOT send any guns to the soldiers in Iraq. Whew, good to know :D

That website has a link to what a camel spider is. Now, I am so afraid of spiders I can't even kill them. I just hop around screaming until someone comes and disposes of it for me. Knowing that I have this irrational fear, you'd think that I wouldn't watch the video of the camel spider. Well, here I sit shaking my head at myself. I currently have goosebumps and will probably have nightmares tonight. I-am-so-stupid!

(Side note: My husband wonders why it is that I scream bloody murder when I see a itty-bitty spider yet I love sharks and will dive with them when offered the chance.)

PSST I don;t like spiders either. . . you can aid raid to the list of items I am requesting. . .

Thanks for the info Ann Marie. I got my soldier yesterday. I sent her my 1st letter today and I am going shopping for her tomorrow.

Fish_Whisperer Sorry, Ward. Thank you to your nation, as well as England, for their support and sacrifices. Your brave men and women are appreciated and thought of. :thumb:....
*sigh* im sure you meant "and the Aussies also" Fishy :wink: :10:

for me, mailing parcels from down under would kill me financially but ive signed up so every wednesday i get a new soliders name and my promise is to him/her is to send him a letter or card. im sure my diving with pics will be a constant thread in my letters.

as im a married chick i felt a bit funny with the one person to write too all the time but i was able to join a letter writing team that i feel comfortable with; http://soldiersangelsforum.com/index.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=48

cheers and thanks for the links.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom