Adopt a Soldier

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought of something else they really love. Eggcrate mattress pads, because many of the mattresses have springs sticking through (for some reason).

It makes a huge difference, its light to mail, crushes down pretty small.

...for those who have cots or beds.

One of the next things I'll be sending (as it has been requested) is a pillow. I think I am going to get a space bag and then use my vacuume to suck out all the air. That should make sending it easier. From what I've gotten in letters, they swap and share things.

Great idea about putting in things for kids so that they can be given away!!

My best friend's brother finally has an address in Iraq to mail a package to. The kids are going to write him a letter, enclose their picture, and I'm putting together a care package for him.

He is not living in good conditions. The last that my friend heard from him, it had been 15 days since his last shower. The troop has tents pitched in a parking lot in downtown Baghdad, and that's where they live. As expected, and I'm sure quite common, he's not sleeping well or eating well.

Things I'm thinking of for the care pack include: socks, underwear, deodorant, eye drops, individual size hand sanitizers, individual size snacks, small notebook, pens, Yahtzee game (I'll take it out of the box and put it in a gallon ziplock bag), individual powder drink packets, powder, maybe a disposable camera, DVD or CD... and anything else I can fit in the box.

If anyone has more ideas, please let me know! I'm sure I'll be sending more than a few packages to him.

they swap and share things.

yes, when the guys leave they pass on some of the creature comfort items.

At first I bought the individual sized snacks, but my son asked me why I did that? He said, "You know, they share with their buds. Just buy a big bag and send that." He's right. You get more for your money and they end up sharing no matter which way you go.

Beef jerky is a favorite. I just ordered previously view DVDs from Netflix. Good price! Ziplocs (all sizes), batteries (all sizes), sunscreen, and chapstick seem to go over well.

I always tell them about my SCUBA diving trips, if I didn't tell them about diving I'd have nothing to write about. I send photos that I have taken underwater. I once sent a little seashell that I found and told about the dive when I found it. I said that I know his space was limited and that I didn't mind if he threw it away. He wrote back that I was crazy, he loved hearing about diving and the shell meant a lot to him. Stuff like that means the most!

One thing I am sitting here thinking about. . . Ann you may know if this is a good idea or bad idea. . . I have software that I am using to copy movies to my IPOD. . . would it be easier to copy the DVD's to something like a large thumb drive or an external HD be easier to send movies over?

My son is there and I know what he asked for. He asked me to send him a camera and his buddies want me to make them knives...they know I'm a hobby bladesmith.

It's not very comfortable over there and I'm sure anything that helps out in that area would be appreciated. The other day, my son told me that they were fired on by the Iraq police. Other than that, it's snipers. They don't see them and they don't fight them. They walk around on patrol doing their best to present a good target. What they really need is to get out of there.

Hmmm... I'm thinking about this care pack that I'm putting together to send to my friend's brother... These questions may sound trivial, but it's things that could actually be important considering the conditions.

I know that John is living in a tent in a parking lot in downtown Baghdad... they are a big target, as far as conditions and safety goes. Space is limited... showers are only 1-2 times a month right now... bad living conditions. Would a no-rinse shampoo be of good use? (Assuming he hasn't shaved his head bald?) When it comes to deodorant, is it better to send the travel sizes, or a regular size (considering space)?

Please chime in... or feel free to PM me with your tips/suggestions/etc. Thanks!

MikeFerrara:
My son is there and I know what he asked for. He asked me to send him a camera and his buddies want me to make them knives...they know I'm a hobby bladesmith.

It's not very comfortable over there and I'm sure anything that helps out in that area would be appreciated. The other day, my son told me that they were fired on by the Iraq police. Other than that, it's snipers. They don't see them and they don't fight them. They walk around on patrol doing their best to present a good target. What they really need is to get out of there.

That's pretty much the story of my friend's brother too. It's sad. They really need support over there. I'll pray that your son returns home safely.

erparamedic:
That's pretty much the story of my friend's brother too. It's sad. They really need support over there. I'll pray that your son returns home safely.

Prayers are good too.

LOL, he sounds like he's doing ok for the most part but I'm a nervous wreck.

Back
Top Bottom