Adjusting seals on dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation:
You can cut them down yourself, but as others have said, you gotta be real careful. DUI provides good instruction. I have a dedicated pair if Scissors for the purpose. Check this out from DUI.

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/how_to_trim.htm

Be sure to get to your LDS for a class on how to dive these things. You're going to love diving dry once you get dialed in.

K

And . . . If you use scissors make sure they are sharp! I have found a utility knife to work the best (change to a new blade before cutting). Stretch the neck around an AL80, use a small soup can for the wrists. try cutting completely around without lifting the blade and youll end up with a very nice looking seal.

cruzyn56:
My wife and I have drysuits with latex seals. The neck is pretty tight and I was wondering how they are adjusted. There are rings around the neck and wrist seals. Can theses be cut?

Thanks.

Another comment; the seal might not feel too tight until you've been wearing the suit for more than a few minutes. When adjusting the seals you should test the adjustment in a pool or other easily (and quickly) exited body of water so you can remove the suit if you start feeling ill. Move around, stretch, etc. What you are trying to do is simulate an active dive to increase your heart activity; it's then that your brain will start to react if it is not receiving enough blood.

DEEPLOU:
I use corn starch. It is bio-degradable, ingestable and is cheap.
BTW: talc is very close to asbestos in its chemical properties. I would rather inhale little corn starch than talc.
Wow thanks for the info. I think I'm going to have to switch to corn starch now.

Mo2vation - great link! Wish I had seen this before I did that hack job on my new wrist seals!

I see the original post started back in July, when I was happily underwater every day so I missed it. :wink:
Just so folks know, stretching neck or cuff seals over an object while cutting can cause an uncontrolled tear, killing the seal entirely. If you're going to do the razor blade method instead of the scissors, stretch the critters as little as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom