Adjusting seals on dry suit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cruzyn56

Reaction score
My wife and I have drysuits with latex seals. The neck is pretty tight and I was wondering how they are adjusted. There are rings around the neck and wrist seals. Can theses be cut?

Thanks.

cruzyn56:
My wife and I have drysuits with latex seals. The neck is pretty tight and I was wondering how they are adjusted. There are rings around the neck and wrist seals. Can theses be cut?

Thanks.

Hi.

Did you guys get these suits from a local dive shop (LDS) or did you get them someplace else. If you got them from an LDS, they probably offered you training on how to actually, you know, dive with them.

That purchase probably would have included trimming the seals to fit correctly.

If you bought them off of eBay and want to give them a whirl, I highly recommend getting to an LDS and paying them for a class and a trimming. There's more to diving a drysuit than cutting the seals putting it on and diving in.

So what's the scoop?

K

Before trimming, try taking the neck and leaving it stretched over an aluminum 80 cylinder for about a day. If it is still too tight, then considering trimming.

They are Dacor drysuits bought online from Divers Discount in California. They are discontinued.

I will look into an LDS for adjustments.

Thanks.

Mo2vation:
Hi.

Did you guys get these suits from a local dive shop (LDS) or did you get them someplace else. If you got them from an LDS, they probably offered you training on how to actually, you know, dive with them.

That purchase probably would have included trimming the seals to fit correctly.

If you bought them off of eBay and want to give them a whirl, I highly recommend getting to an LDS and paying them for a class and a trimming. There's more to diving a drysuit than cutting the seals putting it on and diving in.

So what's the scoop?

K

Trim a little at a time. You can't add it back on after taking too much off. Use KY Lubricant on your neck and wrists to make it easier to don. The seal will slide easy on your skin. If your head looks like a tick after a few minutes of wearing the seal, it's too tight. Move your head in all directions and check for fit. Store them with talc applied to the seals.

mempilot:
Trim a little at a time. You can't add it back on after taking too much off. Use KY Lubricant on your neck and wrists to make it easier to don. The seal will slide easy on your skin. If your head looks like a tick after a few minutes of wearing the seal, it's too tight. Move your head in all directions and check for fit. Store them with talc applied to the seals.

If you use talc, it has to be unsented as the fregrence in most talc is oil base and will hasten the deterioration of the seals.

I use corn starch. It is bio-degradable, ingestable and is cheap.
BTW: talc is very close to asbestos in its chemical properties. I would rather inhale little corn starch than talc.

cruzyn56:
They are Dacor drysuits bought online from Divers Discount in California. They are discontinued.

I will look into an LDS for adjustments.

Thanks.

You can cut them down yourself, but as others have said, you gotta be real careful. DUI provides good instruction. I have a dedicated pair if Scissors for the purpose. Check this out from DUI.

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/how_to_trim.htm

Be sure to get to your LDS for a class on how to dive these things. You're going to love diving dry once you get dialed in.

K

DEEPLOU:
If you use talc, it has to be unsented as the fregrence in most talc is oil base and will hasten the deterioration of the seals.

I use corn starch. It is bio-degradable, ingestable and is cheap.
BTW: talc is very close to asbestos in its chemical properties. I would rather inhale little corn starch than talc.
Good addition to the talc point. Thanks.

ScubaDadMiami:
Before trimming, try taking the neck and leaving it stretched over an aluminum 80 cylinder for about a day. If it is still too tight, then considering trimming.

I don't think stretching works for latex seals.

Green_Manelishi:
I don't [think] stretching works for latex seals.

It does work but not for a huge increment. That's why you have to stretch it for several hours (eight to twelve or so). If that doesn't work, then you can start trimming a little at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom