Adding Dry Suit Pockets

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tchil01

Reaction score
I am thinking of adding pockets to my Viking X-treme dry suit and was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to install them and where I can buy them. I like the Dir set-up of a bellows pocket on the left leg and a flat pocket on the right.

Thanks
Ty

Originally posted by tchil01
I am thinking of adding pockets to my Viking X-treme dry suit
Paging Bob3...
Paging Bob3...

While we wait for Bob:
We have used Aquaseal mixed 50/50 with Cotol...
The bellows pockets on my Trilam and Shanes CF200 stay on for awhile...

However UWS in Seattle uses a secret sauce that seems to hold like nails and with guaranteed results on my new CF200...
But an additional factor is that the DUI pockets are sewn onto CF200 backing material and that is what is bonded with the sauce to the suit...

Go to Halcyons web site they will explain step by step how to do it.

My wife sewed two pockets for me.

I used the Viking "Black glue" to attach them to the
suit and let it *set* for about 3 days.

Heyyy... somebody should've dropped me an e-mail.

There are 2 "good" ways to attach pockets on to an Xtreme. Both use plain old wetsuit cement.
First off, run down to your local dive shop & pick up a fresh can of wetsuit cement. "Seal Cement" by Mcnett, and the cements by Global & Trident are all good brands. Then hit your hardware store & pick up a small can of toluene. This is the same stuff that's called "wetsuit cement thinner" in tiny cans that sells for several times the price.
Figure out where you want your pocket & mark an outline of the area. Wipe with a light coat of thinner. Wipe the backside of the pocket with thinner as well, and apply 2 coats of cement to both surfaces, allowing to dry tack free (just dry to the touch).
Carefuly align & plunk the pocket down. Either roll with a "special tool" or smack it with a rubber mallet to get things to bond securely.
The second technique is nearly identical except you roughen up the areas to be glued with 60 grit sandpaper after wiping w/thinner. A second wipe w/thinner is then in order before applying the glue.
Roughing up will allow the cement to grab on so tight there's no chance of even intentionally stripping it off if you ever want to replace the pocket sometime down the road.
Viking has good pockets but they're way expensive.
Northern Diver has some that are pretty good & you can order direct, just ask for the bellows pocket. Cargo pockets have a zipper. I have a heap of those things sitting here, (they gave me the wrong ones).
ND's "weight & trim harness" has 2 removable bellows pockets on it. When you consider that you're getting both a weight harness AND 2 pockets, it's a heck of a deal.
Check 'em all out at: http://ndiver.com

My moby is a twin shell... and allows easy pocket adding... I can even sew on really obnoxious patches if I like.. :D

I ordered a bellow pocket from www.fifthd.com . They sold me a tube of some industrial type of glue to install it.The pocket has been on for about 3mos now and holding strong.If i remember right the glue was called t-6000 or something like that.Also the fifthd pocket is way cheaper than the halcyon one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom