Adding a modern wing to a vintage backplate?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is an image of an At-Pac wing on a blow-molded back pack:

Attachments

• At-Pac Wing.jpg
    At-Pac Wing.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 155
Haha check out all those tanks. Hilarious! How does he even stay buoyant.

I get what you are saying about the pony bottle. I've noticed in some divers' avatars on the board that they are wearing horse collar BCs. Are those vintage? Or can you buy a new one today? I was under the impression that they are not really available anymore.

@Couv is the Gill At-Pac a vintage product?

Also I was unfamiliar with the Mark 2:22 bit from the Bible so i looked it up. Is it better to dive with all vintage gear? Or all new gear? Bad to mix old with new?

Or are we just supposed to avoid filling our wings with wine? Because that was my next step. :wink:

Horsecollars are still being made. Most are for military application. I am aware of at least one state police dive team that used horsecollars exclusively until the last decade as they would float an unconcious diver face up. I have a military BC that came from a navy special warfare team. It is similar to the Mae West except it has over pressurization valve and 4 large CO2 cartridges in two detonators.
Seatec makes a nice military horsecollar as well. Seatec-Sunfish

728 post on this item!...

I don’t understand???

….I note the silver fittings...is this one of the earlier models or one of the last of the production run?...

I have no clue. The bladder was a translucent welded plastic and the cover was very elastic if that helps date it. For those who have never seen one of these, the fittings are sand-cast bronze and chrome plated. The LP fill hose connected by QD to the top fitting after the elbow. Another LP hose ran inside the flex hose to the end fitting. The OVP, oral-inflate mouthpiece, fill button, and dump button were on the end fitting.

The OVP was probably too small, but I never tempted fate by testing to see if it would dump fast enough on a “Trident Missile” ascent. The manual dump rate was on the slow side but adequate — I “assumed” because the flex hose flow was compromised by the internal LP hose but the dump valve itself “seamed” about the right size.

I used this rig for well over 20 years. I always assumed it would blow up, get a hole punched in the bladder, or just fall apart so these concerns were not important. Nothing bad happened and it was very nice on doubles and singles. The elastic cover made it as close to old-school no-BC feeling that it was easy to use on every dive.

This is an image of it mounted to doubles while in my best “are we in target yet” pose :wink:

Attachments

• tmp-26.jpg
    tmp-26.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 150
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom