Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
Yes... over 50, diving 34 years. Now I dive primarily local boats and warm water. I try to get in a few dives every year. I have done photography, hunting.. and now it is enjoying the dive in and of itself.

Each year it gets harder and I am not sure how much longer I can handle cold water Great Lakes diving. Managed two dives over the weekend but now need some help at the top of the ladder. Gravity seems to have increased over the last few years and it now takes as much effort to carry LP 50's as it did my HP 130's. I had hoped to make it to 80 before I have to content myself with warm water diving but that is still three years away.

Just my two cents but it seems MOST divers are over the age of 50 these days. Every trip I go on it seems like most divers on the boats are Gen X or Boomers.
Maybe more where you're diving (where BTW); here in SEA there's still a good mix of ages from very young to very old. The average age I'd guesstimate around 35-40.

Just my two cents but it seems MOST divers are over the age of 50 these days. Every trip I go on it seems like most divers on the boats are Gen X or Boomers.
Are you diving local? Or are you flying somewhere to dive? Maybe diving off a live-aboard? Youngish people, perhaps having dependent children, might find the trips that you go on too expensive--especially if several people in the family are traveling.

I waited awhile to start my family. (My eldest child was born when I was 46.) So, I was able to do a lot of diving before I became concerned with Girl Scout camp, piano lessons, college savings, etc., for my kids. I was fortunate to be living near the Great Lakes before family--which meant a lot of diving on world-class shipwrecks at most a day's drive away. So, even then I didn't have to spend $$ on airfare to enjoy world-class diving.

I do see youngish adults diving local in SW MO and NW AR, enjoying the convenience like I do these days.

My eldest just graduated univ a couple of weeks ago! When her twin younger sisters graduate, I'll probably be one of those old folks you're seeing on trips--if I haven't aged out by then!

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom