Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they dive, and what types of diving they do?
I just turned 50 in March so I now can answer this. I have been diving since 88. Started with Duggan Diving in TX. I now live in HI and get 6-10 dives a week. Trying to teach a class once a month to friends to spread the love of diving.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread. I am curious as to how many SB members, who are still active divers, are over the age of 50? Also, how long they have been diving, how often they diveim , and what types of diving they do?
I'm 53 , try to dive at least once a year in Central or south america. I would go more if I had company

Just turned 50 end of last year. Started diving in 1995. Most active from 97 to 2002. Cold water diving in the UK. About 50+ dives. The rest 20+ dives in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, Florida & Hawai'i.
My wife just started. done her OWD in 2011 but was non-active. She now wants to take AOWD after recent dive in Hawai'i. She'll be 50 this year. :wink:

I am 66, been diving +30 years with 800 dives. We do not like cold water. I live in CA but have never been diving off the coast of CA. We like diving in Asia the best, what you see in one day of diving is equal to a week in the Caribbean. We do go to Roatan for a close dive trip.

I am 63 so I have been diving for 46 years now. I was around for the invention of the power inflator on BCDs. I moved to Cozumel in 2011 to be able to dive every week and not to have to own a boat that needed to be maintained.:yeahbaby:

I am 56, started in '94. I average about 100 dives a year so coming up on 3,000 or thereabouts; 99% of those in California. I love the variety of our local ecosystem.

I have my own boat. With the decline in charter boats in California over the last 20 years, it's been the best investment I could have made.

I'm 52 - originally certified back in my 20s and was an active diver (300+ dives). Marriage and kids came with a 15 year break. Got my son certified during COVID in 2020 (he was 13 at the time) (we took OW, AOW, NITROX courses together). He's my dive buddy and we have done approx 75 dives together. Mostly wreck dives off coast of NC and some in the Keys.

Back at it this weekend. Cant' wait. No diving since February, hope the season is beginning NOW.

Dive safe !

59 years old.
Been diving for a couple of years.
Go on 3 or 4 dive trips per year with my wife (who is a few years younger than me.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom