Active Divers over the age of 50

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

61 years old. Started diving 33 years ago. I went diving 15 days in January, and 20 days in February, this is typical for the last 4 years. Mostly do beach dives near home , I live 25 minutes from Blue Heron Bridge, and 60 minutes for LBTS. Occasionally go out on a charter. Went to Bonaire in 2021, and have the Flower Gardens scheduled for August. For me its all about fish and critters. 4285 REEF surveys, and top observer on three different projects in Inaturalist, plus I post a lot of dive reports here on Scubaboard.
For me too, all about the marine life. I am always looking for the odd and interesting creature.

OP, please don’t take offense, but there are thousands and thousand and thousands of divers over 50, over 60 and over 70 out there. In fact, on this side of the pond, younger people who come out of university tens of thousands of pounds in debt and need a kings ransom to buy a property, often cannot afford an expensive hobby like scubadiving. On trips and liveaboards we have done recently the average age was 55 to 65. We have also met several more mature OW candidates, many in their 60s.
Man, vacations to places where everybody is over 50 sounds nice. No screaming kids, no drunken frat boys, no influencers, perfect.

@The Chairman

Hey Pete do you share demographics?
They will be skewed, but I'll try to get someone to suss them out.

Would be interested to see the demographics of "technical" divers -- mixed gas, significant decompression, rebreathers, overhead divers.

What I see on boats is it's largely over 40 and plenty of grey hair.

Would be interested to see the demographics of "technical" divers -- mixed gas, significant decompression, rebreathers, overhead divers.

What I see on boats is it's largely over 40 and plenty of grey hair.
Now you got to get him to dump it into Tableau, codify it, and have some one sort and report. 😉

Birthdays are in your user account. All that other stuff isn't. No promises here on even age.

over 50, but under 55 ( I refuse to divulge the actual age).

Diving since 2003. Recreational. I shore dive locally (Monterey/Carmel). I try to get out about once a month (although life & work often get in the way), but since I dive wet, I generally take late Jan. thru Feb off to dry my gills.

Now that Im more settled, my goal is to get into some strange [waters] annually, preferably warmer waters. Dove in Catalonia (not warm) Sept 2019, La Paz Dec. 2021 & Oahu Dec. 2022.

I play hoops weekly with a bunch of 30 yr olds. Im pretty useless on defense, but I can still pop jumpers in these fools' faces. I think I have 3-4 more years of running hoops. It'll suck when it ends.

I envision diving until Im about 70. Unless my legs or my heart say otherwise. It'll suck when it ends.

But maybe I'll find something else to do.

My husband and I are divers— I’m 64 and my husband is 70. We were both certified in our late 50s, We’re both relatively new to diving, with about 150 dives each. I was certified in Perth. We’re warm water divers, with no interest in diving in our backyard— the Northern California Pacific. We used to tag on a few days of diving when we traveled. But nowadays our trips are usually organized around diving. We’ve been diving in Fiji, Bora Bora, Rangiroa, the Great Barrier Reef (LOB+), Bali, Grand Caymen, Turks & Caicos (LOB), Oahu, Kona, Maui and Loreto/ Baja. We have several dive trips booked this year already…. Belize, Loreto, Raja Ampat & Ningaloo Reef. When we’re not diving, we’re hiking hut to hut in Switzerland or the Dolomites or Nepal, backpacking in the Sierra, skiing, sailing, kayaking, climbing or white water rafting. In my free time, I do Search & Rescue (land, not sea).

Just another 50+ tech diver here as well. Certified in 1984, but picked up a lot of diving in the last 10 years (diving weekly year-round) in Puget Sound including DM/OWSI, then went down the tech route to AN/DP, Sidemount, and CCR up to normoxic trimix. Then add in a decent u/w photo rig! Fun times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom