aching back from BP wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmuise:
Very interesting. I noticed the plate hangs in either two poisitions:

A) If the straps are cinched up very tight it hangs off my scapulas and this position is painful beacuse the rig will pull at my back because the waist belt will pull the top of my spine back - but I can reach the valve...

B) if straps are somewhat loose and comfortable the plate rides the lower 1/3 of my back but I cant reach the valve.

The plate will only follow one of the two back curves because our backs have a "natural" S curve. I dive a single AL80. If you think about it, a somewhat curved back plate would conform better to your body?

"A" is definitely too tight. No question about it.

"B" is too loose. The BP shouldn't be that far down your back.

It sounds like your in between where the plate should be adjusted. Are you trying to reach your valves out of the water? If so, the adjustment will never be correct because the BP/Wing/Valve position will be different once your in the water.

I ordered a aluminum PB/ with a standard harness from Dive Rite.
Easyest to work with. I set the harness up so it was comforable on my shoulders. Not to tight not to lose. I didn't cut any length off the harness till your completely done with all th adjustments.
Feel where the bottom of the plate hits. If it hits just below the bottom of your back and is resting on the upper part of your butt. it's to low. The edges will dig into your butt placing preassure at the lumbar area. If you reach around when you standing straight up you will see you can place your hand in the gap between the plate and you lower back. That means all the weight will end up on you lumbar joint and if it catches the nerve you will be in pain for a long time. ( I KNOW FORM EXPERIANCE).
Once I had it all set and adjusted to where I wanted it to set on my shoulders I cut the Bottom of the plate off (For me it was about an inch) I drilled new holes for the staps and finish the groves with a moto tool, files the edges so as to reduce and sharp edges. Reconnected the harness to see how it fit. Remember I did this with an aluminum PB not a SS one. Besides it's lighter to carry. If I need to add weight I do so at the water not at the set up table. Now to make sure that I don't twist my back getting in and out of it. I added a clip to the right shoulder strap so all I have to do is reach over and release it and slide the left shoulder out.
I also bent the lower outside corners out a bit to conform to the curve of my lower back. Now the plate sits way above my lumbar joint and there's no pressure on it at all. If you like I'll send you some Pics of my rig set up. IU also use Zeagle Trim weight pouches for utility/ weght pouches on the shoulder staps. They set on the shoulder stap and waiste stap under my arms. easy to get to and out of the way.
Hope this helps.
Fred

Fred, thank you for the great information. I'm getting ready for DIRF. I plan to adopt some of the training into my diving - but not all, so these modifications are something I'm going to look into. I'm 5'-9" and my plate is 15" long, I'm assuming it isnt too short. Thanks again.

fgray1:
I ordered a aluminum PB/ with a standard harness from Dive Rite.
Easyest to work with. I set the harness up so it was comforable on my shoulders. Not to tight not to lose. I didn't cut any length off the harness till your completely done with all th adjustments.
Feel where the bottom of the plate hits. If it hits just below the bottom of your back and is resting on the upper part of your butt. it's to low. The edges will dig into your butt placing preassure at the lumbar area. If you reach around when you standing straight up you will see you can place your hand in the gap between the plate and you lower back. That means all the weight will end up on you lumbar joint and if it catches the nerve you will be in pain for a long time. ( I KNOW FORM EXPERIANCE).
Once I had it all set and adjusted to where I wanted it to set on my shoulders I cut the Bottom of the plate off (For me it was about an inch) I drilled new holes for the staps and finish the groves with a moto tool, files the edges so as to reduce and sharp edges. Reconnected the harness to see how it fit. Remember I did this with an aluminum PB not a SS one. Besides it's lighter to carry. If I need to add weight I do so at the water not at the set up table. Now to make sure that I don't twist my back getting in and out of it. I added a clip to the right shoulder strap so all I have to do is reach over and release it and slide the left shoulder out.
I also bent the lower outside corners out a bit to conform to the curve of my lower back. Now the plate sits way above my lumbar joint and there's no pressure on it at all. If you like I'll send you some Pics of my rig set up. IU also use Zeagle Trim weight pouches for utility/ weght pouches on the shoulder staps. They set on the shoulder stap and waiste stap under my arms. easy to get to and out of the way.
Hope this helps.
Fred

bmuise:
Fred, thank you for the great information. I'm getting ready for DIRF. I plan to adopt some of the training into my diving - but not all, so these modifications are something I'm going to look into. I'm 5'-9" and my plate is 15" long, I'm assuming it isnt too short. Thanks again.
My plate was also 15" long before I cut it down.
But I'm not DIR. I do things a little differant than most.
I have to be comfortable when I dive. I also made a butt plate with SS U clamps on it to use as D rings to hang my reels from as well as deco or side mount bottles. It's connected to the base of the BP by 2 clips . I try differant setup all the time to see what works and what don't. Kinda a personal R&D for the guys I dive with.
Good luck.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom