aching back from BP wings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

I could use some advice. Dived my oxycheq/halcyon rig for the first time yesterday, I think the straps may have all been too restrictive. Woke up this morning and my back is SORE. I've loosened them all up a bit and I'm hopinbg this helps. Are there any others that have had this experience and might have some more advice for me?

Thanks you.

The straps should be adjusted so that you can easily put a fist between your chest and the shoulder strap. You should also be able to get out of the rig in the water without struggling.

Great advice, thank you.

MaxBottomtime:
The straps should be adjusted so that you can easily put a fist between your chest and the shoulder strap. You should also be able to get out of the rig in the water without struggling.

MaxBottomtime:

A fist is a bit much. The current recommendation is two fingers placed horizontally.

Did you dive with a BCD w/ integrated weights before?

bmuise:
Hello:

I could use some advice. Dived my oxycheq/halcyon rig for the first time yesterday, I think the straps may have all been too restrictive. Woke up this morning and my back is SORE. I've loosened them all up a bit and I'm hopinbg this helps. Are there any others that have had this experience and might have some more advice for me?

Thanks you.

A bit more information might be helpful. You didnt mention if you were diving singles or doubles, if this was your normal tank configuration, or what part of your back was hurting.

I've found that if I'm out of the water for too long and then do a long dive, my lower back hurts a bit. I think this is from the fact that I'm more likely to "arch" my back with the backplate and maintain correct trim.

Could be a culmination of things mentioned already as well.

hantzu701:
A fist is a bit much. The current recommendation is two fingers placed horizontally.

Did you dive with a BCD w/ integrated weights before?
I dive almost exclusively with double LP120s and the only way I can get back in my boat is to take them off in the water. I've found that I can easily get out of the rig when I can put a fist between my chest and the strap. It is not loose at all underwater. I used to have it in the "two finger" position, but it was difficult and time consuming to remove the gear.
Several years ago, before I bought a steel backplate I dived with a Dacor Rig BC, which is weight integrated. It was comfortable, but too bulky and didn't handle the weight of low pressure steels well.

Very interesting. I noticed the plate hangs in either two poisitions:

A) If the straps are cinched up very tight it hangs off my scapulas and this position is painful beacuse the rig will pull at my back because the waist belt will pull the top of my spine back - but I can reach the valve...

B) if straps are somewhat loose and comfortable the plate rides the lower 1/3 of my back but I cant reach the valve.

The plate will only follow one of the two back curves because our backs have a "natural" S curve. I dive a single AL80. If you think about it, a somewhat curved back plate would conform better to your body?

I just got my BP/W, and I find I must be more careful lifting it and moving the kit around OUT of the water. With the increased weight of the BP, the STA and any integrated weight, you could cause a problem with your back before you ever put it on!
Just a thought.

I had bad broblems the first time I wore a PB. The plate was so low on my back it put pressure on my lumbar joint anf It crushed the joint and also put preasure on the nerve. I was out of diving for 4 months getting it staight again.. Hurt like hell. I ended getting a aluminum plate and custom fitting it to my back so it didn't sit so low as to hit the lumbar region of my back and have'nt had a problem since.
Fred

This is exactly what I'm looking to learn about, thank you.
I realized that out of the water is the crucial time where the minimum number of holding points takes the load.

So you took the weight off your back and placed it on your hips?
Also, how did you get the plate customed to your back? Did you bend it?

fgray1:
I had bad broblems the first time I wore a PB. The plate was so low on my back it put pressure on my lumbar joint anf It crushed the joint and also put preasure on the nerve. I was out of diving for 4 months getting it staight again.. Hurt like hell. I ended getting a aluminum plate and custom fitting it to my back so it didn't sit so low as to hit the lumbar region of my back and have'nt had a problem since.
Fred

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom