Accomplishments of 2009?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2009:

- Finally left the cold waters of the Great lakes and Korea for a 25-dive honeymoon to Palau
- Rescue, DES and other specialties
- Started DM

2010:

- Gas Blender, Adv Nitrox, Deco
- Drysuit

2009:
Finished DM
Met lots of cool divers
Got a tech pass in fundies
Got to try cold(ish) water diving in lakes and springs
Tryed a drysuit
Had fun!

2010:
Cave I
More experience in the relative cold of TX
More experience with drysuit and doubles
Have even more fun and try new things!

Became a Divemaster. Then began to feel like one too.
First live-aboard experience as a diver.
Improved buoyancy and breathing.
First time my air outlasted an experienced DM on a dive.

TortureRack.jpg

And which GUE class was this? :D

That's the special class for us height-challenged folks...:rofl3:

2009:
Tackled SoCal cold waters with more determination including trying to become one with the surf.
Put the light weight gear away and added heavy SS backplate & HP tanks to the arsenal of gear I own.
Added drysuit to the collection and completed a dozen drysuit dives.
Certified 61 students at varying levels including two DMs and also 21 DSDs...I stayed busy.
Got to meet and dive with lots of cool folks this year including new and old SB pals.

2010:
Teach as many students as I did in 2009.
More drysuit dives to increase comfort level.
Lots more exploring of local dive sites. Lots more dive buddies to meet.
And join every dive adventure that comes my way...

Am just completing my 43rd consecutive year of diving, some downtime in 06 due to a knee replacement.

This is the first thread that I've lurked in a long time that hasn't as of yet ended in a food fight. Seems like fun, challenge and adventure are things we all agree on. How we achieve them is another matter.

Still kickin' (frog/back/heli)

Dove in the following places
Aruba
Bonaire
Dominica
Grenada
Cozumel (Scuba Club for a week)
Fiji (Beqa Lagoon Resort)
Anacapa Island (California)

Back to Scuba Club Cozumel in April
:confused: after that

Great posts so far:

2009:
-TDI Advanced EANx
-1 week wreck diving South of France with the club (Donator, Grec, etc... 45-55m)
-2 weeks cozumel diving with Living underwater (can really recommend)
-I will have done about 110 dives this year... up to about 310 dives. (about 360 if you count oldschool dives)
-Haven't done any North Sea wreck dives this year because of bad weather (although I was listed on 8 different weekends to go out.. but all blown out, there you have global warming).
- Did some serious deco diving.
- Dived alot with my girlfriend.
- Started on my Assistent Instructor (CMAS ****) open water tests
- got a can light for my birthday... completing my hog setup.

Sigh... I'm on a sort of a diving crossroad. Difficult to explain. I'm a very regular local diver, I'm very active in my local club, I like diving with my mentors, with regulars, with new divers showing them the ropes. I've done loads of deeper dives on air with proper planning (40-50 m range, max 20 min bottom time, max 20 min deco). However although most of the experienced divers I dive with believe I'm already one of the experienced guys I personnally don't think so.

The TDI Adv EANx was a farce... The theoretical side of it was good, but the pratical skills were not. No valve drills, just deco dives and practiced gas switches. I have a card but don't feel I'm ready to do those dives with gas switching.

I'm interested in getting my skills up... (UTD, GUE stuff) but I also fear losing my buddy's (who are big deep air proponents... but are very accomplished wreck divers with 1000+ dives)... next to that the next level isn't really necessary in Belgium. Cave... there are no caves in Belgium... Tech... well the deep wrecks on our side of the North sea are max 45 m. Why be CAVE or TECH diver if you cannot do regular dives that require those skills... how can you be a cave diver if you only dive caves on holiday once a year?

If I lived in Florida, Mexico or France I would do Cave.. of course.. that's your local diving. If I lived near the french riviera (deep wrecks in 40-80m range) of course I would follow the tech direction.

Long story short... my plans that can change:
- Complete CMAS **** / Assistant Instructor
- Contemplate doing GUE fundies or UTD intro in tech
- Keep diving with my local buddies
- 2 week trip to Norway to dive the wrecks with girlfriend and club
- 2 weeks Meditteranean or 1 week liveaboard Egypt with girlfriend
- Marry

Got to -40 pounds from my greatest girth, encouraged by a friend to get certified to dive and join her in Cozumel, so I did. And I'll be back there in 19 days :)

Great Thread

Turned 50
Quit SMOKING
Wife and I got our OW in September then AOW in October, she's been a great dive buddy
Joined SB and learned so much good info from here
Put both my kids into intro dives, they did not like it, more diving for us I guess
Purchased new gear, computers for wife and myself head to toe, great quit smoking present
Did some wrecks in Honolulu
Did our first shore dive after certification, turned out to be the dive from h**l
Took our first trip too.........Kona I know not far from home but it was our first dive/work vacation did the manta dive and some boat dives, first real shore dive
Really worked on my buoyancy control, and feel much better at it, as in the light has turned on bright
Along with my buoyancy my bottom time is up to 73 mins could have gone longer but I had to pee really bad, so NO I HAVN"T PEED IN MY SUIT YET!!!!
Done 36 dives so far this year my goal is 45-50 don't know if I will make it
Met so many new friends

Go back to Kona and dive some more
Go to Maui for a week of diving
Do lots of shore dives on Oahu
Meet more divers
Help wife on her buoyancy control and bottom time
Do more classes night, rescue, etc.
Finish my 50 dives
Then start on 75-100 more dives

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back