Accident report released, Poseidon Discovery MKVI, Norway

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Poseidon was simply stating facts about the unit and it's power level. The owner should never have gotten in the water if the pre checks fail. I don't think it mattered who did the investigation the results would still had been the same.

I do have to say I am VERY skeptical of rechargeable batteries on life support. I have been using rechargeable batteries for years in non-life support equipment and have observed them doing erratic things, such as sometimes not taking a full charge even when the charger says they are done charging. Good charge or not, when they reach the end of the charge you get little if any warning before they drop dead. It seems to me that adding a rechargeable battery to a set point controller is placing a potentially weak link in a critical life support chain.

Sincerely,
George

I have to agree with you 100% there

I have to agree with you 100% there

obviously not all batteries are the same whether they are rechargeable or not.

one nice aspect of the battery system in the poseidon is that it goes through periodic learn cycles to more accurately measure how the battery is charging and discharging. when the battery hasnt been put through a learn cycle recently by the owner the system becomes more conservative in regards to remaining battery power and will eventually not go into dive mode if it has been too long since a learn cycle.

of course, to each their own. :D

When will this industry create an objective third party to investigate accidents?
g

Great opportunity to start a business. This is what insurance pays for.

obviously not all batteries are the same whether they are rechargeable or not.

one nice aspect of the battery system in the poseidon is that it goes through periodic learn cycles to more accurately measure how the battery is charging and discharging. when the battery hasnt been put through a learn cycle recently by the owner the system becomes more conservative in regards to remaining battery power and will eventually not go into dive mode if it has been too long since a learn cycle.

of course, to each their own. :D

Thanks for sharing that, that sounds pretty sophisticated. One of the things that is nice about a manual injection type system is how the most energy consumptive function, the injection of o2, is left up to the diver. In a manual system the batteries last 6 months to a year, making the need for rechargeables pretty moot.

g

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom