Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were trained to the NSS standards using the NSS Cavern Diving Manual, which states that the limit is 130 linear feet and 70 feet in depth.

I don't know what other training agencies say, but that's what we were trained to.

More importantly, sabbath999, I now have a beard. How can I keep my mask dry?

Organized recovery efforts are done. There is evidence in the cave that indicates the location of the body. There may be one more dive conducted there to attempt to visualize the body, but body extraction is not planned. It is too small to conduct a safe recovery.

The recovery divers are all wearing dry suits. The diver was in a wet suit. The recovery divers have been diving trimix. The diver was NOT diving trimix. While this dive could be conducted safely by a trained AND experienced cave diver, and IMO would be safer solo, this is a very advanced dive that requires advanced training and experience. The diver had neither. He had no formal training in overhead or decompression diving. Basically, this was an OW diver who went way beyond his training and experience levels and paid the highest price for this error in judgment. He was not given a key to the gate, but managed to get past it anyway. I know he had been warned about the dangers of cave diving and the need to get the appropriate training. He chose to ignore that warning.

We were trained to the NSS standards using the NSS Cavern Diving Manual, which states that the limit is 130 linear feet and 70 feet in depth.

Morrison is a great cavern dive and as for safety I would put it up there with the cavern at Ginnie. You cannot get out of the day light zone unless the area is flooded. Ginnie lets open water diver go in their cavern. Now I am not saying Open water divers should be going in Morrison but there are exceptions to the rule. The biggest issue I see with Morrison is the chance of a panic diver. Morrison seems a little more restricted entering the cavern and it is a little smaller but I guess you could get a panic diver at Ginnie. All in all diving the cavern at Ginnie or Morrison “ If you don’t understand what you are doing then get educated and get the Proper training, if you start to feel uncomfortable, turn the dive”.

It saddens me to say this, but it has been posted here that the diver was not certified to cave dive. This has been confirmed by postings on other boards by people that are on site and have reviewed his log books. It appears that he also had no formal deco training, although he did drop a deco bottle in the cave.

In addition, it has been reported that he manipulated the gate at Vortex in a way to allow him access past it without a key and these actions were also documented in his log books. It seems this was not the first time he had done so either. Not only has this been posted publicly, but I've also gotten private confirmation that this is accurate. There are still more details to follow, but they haven't been released yet and may take a while to become public.

Edit - I see Rob just posted the same information.

I don't know what other training agencies say, but that's what we were trained to.

You have an outdated manual. NSS-CDS standards have been 200 linear feet and 100 feet in depth for quite some time now.

Ok....I ay the following now to point fingers, but in situations like this everyone must consider their own potential role in the result. Follow my thought process. An out of state, non-cave certified diver manipulates the gate open to gain access to an area he should not be in. He does this not by chance....but because he has evidently done this before. Certainly he is not the only one. Does Vortex have knowledge that this has taken place in the past? If so, should there have been an effort to install a better gate system? And before you flame me and say Votex is not responsbile for the actions and poor decisions of others....( which is in part true...)....when they assume a certain level of responsibility to protect people from such poor decisions ( ie...putting a gate up in the first place) shouldn't they make sure they fulfill that responsibility appropriately? I mean.....otherwise....why have the gate up in the first place?

Just thinking out loud.....but I hate hearing that compromising this gate has happened in the past by this diver....because unless he is some master underwater locksmith....someone else out there i doing the same stupid thing. There should be a gate on that gave that insures ONLY cave certified divers can access the cave......which means I will never be in that sucker.

I added this recap to the first post for quick reference. If I missed anything, let me know. I'll update as more info becomes available

Recap of known facts:

• Male diver reported missing on Friday at Vortex
  • Possibly missing as early as Wed.
  • Diver was an Open Water SCUBA Instructor (OWSI).
  • Diver was not certified in cave or decompression diving
  • Got beyond the gate without a key
  • Had deco bottle inside the cave
  • Evidence of the divers passage has been found
  • Body has not been recovered

Just thinking out loud.....but I hate hearing that compromising this gate has happened in the past by this diver....because unless he is some master underwater locksmith....someone else out there i doing the same stupid thing. There should be a gate on that gave that insures ONLY cave certified divers can access the cave......which means I will never be in that sucker.

From what I was told, the manipulations were not likely evident to someone not looking for it. But that is not my story to tell. When those that have seen it first hand choose to respond, they can clarify this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom