Accident at Vortex Springs 8-20-10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
...First of all, since a cave like Vortex is well known and open to the public, why not do more to insure it can be dived safely? Why not install, for example, (1) a minimal system of underwater lights and/or (2) emergency air (breathing gas) stations at key jumps and/or (3) some emergency signaling device and/or (4) highly reliable (not breakable) lines, in a highly public cave.

In other words, since some caves are well known, very public and without any workable means to insure that unqualified divers do not dive there; instead of simply blaming death on the divers, why not make some caves more safer by investing money in one or more of the "off the top of my head" bullet items above or suggest other things/mechanisms/safety devices/controls to make cave diving safer? ...

Well, Vortex has already gone a step beyond nearly every other cave system in the State of Florida by installing a gate. Unfortunately, it was defeated.

It's fine to ask these questions, but understand that because you don't have any cave diving experience many of your ideas don't apply well to the real cave diving world. Since there are quite a few other non-cave divers following this thread, here are some short answers as to why the ideas you suggested are not feasible or are otherwise problematic...

1) Underwater light system: Lights are useless in the event of a real silt out. It's not enough to just have some extra lights. You have to be prepared to exit the cave in zero viz which is a big part of cave diver training.

2) Emergency air stations: Vortex is small compared to many other Florida cave systems and yet it has thousands of feet of surveyed passages. How many of these 'air stations' would need to be installed? Who maintaines and refills these things? Do you hire a team of cave inspectors to audit that they are maintained within standards? How does a diver find them when they are lost or in zero visibility (which is the only time you would need them)? Cave divers bring their own supply of emergency air on every cave dive. Another big part of cave training.

3) Emergency signaling device: This one reminds me of fire pull stations in public buildings. Similar to #2. How many of these would need to be installed to adequately cover and entire cave system? Who is going to come rescue me when I pull the handle? Very few divers are qualified to cave dive and by the time one gets there it's going to be a recovery not a rescue.

4) Unbreakable lines: Line entanglement is a well known problem in cave diving. Cave divers are trained to deal with such things without making the situation worse. Unbreakable lines could make it impossible for a diver to free themselves in the event they became entagled. Also, there is really no such thing as 'unbreakable' anyway. The locks/gate blocking access to the cave were probably intended to be 'unbreakable.'

Keep in mind that these cave systems are works of nature formed over 10's of thousands of years or longer. Nobody wants to see them filled with man made garbage. Most of that stuff wouldn't last long in such a hostile environment anyway. Imagine swimming up to one of those emergency air stations on your last breath of air and finding out it's broken/empty.

For what it's worth, there are many other cave systems in Florida that are much more frequently visited than Vortex. Vortex is a very common open water dive spot, but cave not so much.

I have been following this thread since the OP, hoping for a recovery for the family and closure the recovery teams.

I follow the Accidents and Incidents forum as a very important learning tool. This thread has reinforced why I dive within my formal training and experience. I am OW, AOW, Nitrox, and Rescue Diver Certified. I started diving four years ago at age 43. I am a novice diver with just over 80 dives. All open water. I carry a 19cf pony as an emergency air supply.

I stress to my young sons (22 and 19 years old) why it is important to stay within their certification, training, and experience.

I hope this incident teaches us all something. One thing for sure, Cave Divers are special group of people.

Safe Diving

I spoke to one of the rescue divers that was on the scene the first day and I asked him what the deal was with the lock/key/gate issue. I was told that there was no problem with the Vortex lock...but evidently the hinge portion of the gate had been broken at some point and another lock or couple of locks had been used to create some type of make shift "door" that would open from the opposite direction, using the Vortex locked side as the hinge side. I am told that THIS is how he gained access to the cave....by using the hinge side as the opening side ...NOT using the Vortex lock or the Vortex key.

The diver was on site the first day and saw this.....is this what everyone else is referring to?
If so....this is odd. Very Odd. It would certainly create more questions for sure.

The extra lock on the right side of the gate (hinge side) had been in place for over a month. I first noticed it on July 10. I saw a lock and went straight for it, and to my great suprise, the key that I had checked out didn't work. I checked up and then opened the correct side of the gate. I felt a bit sheepish for trying to open the wrong side, and hoped my buddy thought I was just fumbling with the key. At that point wrongly assumed that the lock had been there all along as a hinge, and I had simply not noticed it. My buddy and I discussed the issue briefly at the end of the dive, but didn't mention it to the good folks at Vortex.

My thoughts are quite different about prevention.

Yes, we agree that we can all kumbaya on the same lesson learned, which is the same "dive only within your training and experience level"; but this lesson with be "relearned" over and over again in the future. I think we should go further.

First of all, since a cave like Vortex is well known and open to the public, why not do more to insure it can be dived safely? Why not install, for example, (1) a minimal system of underwater lights and/or (2) emergency air (breathing gas) stations at key jumps and/or (3) some emergency signaling device and/or (4) highly reliable (not breakable) lines, in a highly public cave.

In other words, since some caves are well known, very public and without any workable means to insure that unqualified divers do not dive there; instead of simply blaming death on the divers, why not make some caves more safer by investing money in one or more of the "off the top of my head" bullet items above or suggest other things/mechanisms/safety devices/controls to make cave diving safer? Not all caves, of course; but there must be some public, well known, caves, perhaps like Vortex, where the owners (or a diving club or association) could invest in making the cave safer for all (trained, qualified, certified, and/or foolish), versus the current "it is an accident waiting to happen" and "dive at your own risk" and "it is always the divers fault because they are not well trained" themes (and "lessons learned") we read about repeatedly.

There are lights in the first part of the Vortex cave. Most of the time over the last couple years these have been off. During my last dive at Vortex, on August 9th there were lights on in the Piano room, that is the room where the gate is located. Frankly it is my opinion that lights in the cave make it more dangerous, not less so. It is more likely that a diver, untrained or otherwise, would rely on those lights and not the lights under their personal control and maintenance. The electricty goes out and suddenly it is dark. Very dark.

Even if cost weren't an issue, and again as with the lights, an added attractive nuisance for uncertified or otherwise illequiped divers, a series of breathing gas stations would be logistically prohibitive. You would need to have a diver place stage bottles every few feet to ensure that gas was available/accessable anytime someone failed to heed the gas rules. Or you run a whip down the cave and have locations to tap into the supply. Who is going to maintain that line. What happens to the diver who was relying on that gas supply when the surface supplied air supply is lost? And how does he use that air supply to exit the cave from a third of a mile back?

The lines used in caves are reliable, but they cannot be unbreakable. If a diver becomes hopelessly entangled, he needs to be able to cut himself free. Part of the training for cave diving is learning how to and practicing coping with a cut, broken or lost line.

The bottom line is that we can come up with all sorts of elaborate designs to make a system fool proof. But when it comes right down to it, all that will happen is the world will create a better fool in order to bypass the system.

For example, how many are killed every year by drunk driving? Would it be possible to prevent this by installing a breath test on the ignition system of every vehicle on the road? Possible yes. A viable solution, no. Some fool will come along and figure a way around the lock.

If a death is as a direct result of the breaking of one or more of the five basic rules that each and every cave and cavern diver has been taught, it hardly seems appropriate to create new rules or engineered solutions to defeat the improved fool. If the earlier posts turn out to be accurate, and I have no doubt they will, this was a methodical and calculated attempt to defeat the safety system. This was not a fool who accidentally got in over his head. It was a fool who knew he was breaking the rules and just didn't care.

I am shocked that this diver was apparently willing to spend the many hundreds or more likely thousands of dollars on SM or Tec gear, stage bottles, deco bottles and regulators, yet balked at the cost of a cave class that would have cost about the same as just one of those eight regulators he would have used on his dive last Monday.

There are lights in the first part of the Vortex cave. Most of the time over the last couple years these have been off. During my last dive at Vortex, on August 9th there were lights on in the Piano room, that is the room where the gate is located. Frankly it is my opinion that lights in the cave make it more dangerous, not less so. It is more likely that a diver, untrained or otherwise, would rely on those lights and not the lights under their personal control and maintenance. The electricty goes out and suddenly it is dark. Very dark.

The lines used in caves are reliable, but they cannot be unbreakable. If a diver becomes hopelessly entangled, he needs to be able to cut himself free. Part of the training for cave diving is learning how to and practicing coping with a cut, broken or lost line.

The bottom line is that we can come up with all sorts of elaborate designs to make a system fool proof. But when it comes right down to it, all that will happen is the world will create a better fool in order to bypass the system.

For what it is worth, I totally agree! Thanks for this and several other similar posts.
"He who has ears to hear, let him hear!"

All the keys were accounted for at Vortex, I saw them myself.

Actually, the diver who dove today, was more local than any of the divers who were there on Friday/Saturday aside from Jeff.

I wasn't sure. I'm not there and heard they were waiting for someone to arrive. :)

Perhaps we can find a little silver lining.
I taught the first part of an open water course at the university today with 15 students in the class. When discussing the importance of education, training and standards and the corresponding open water level limits, the conversation was directed to the dangers of overhead environments. Based on the known information, I told the students about the thread I have been following since the initial post on Friday.
The students were saddend, horrified, and strongly affected by the tragedy. I feel that the impact will help to create safer future divers. There will be over 60 more students in my Wed and Friday classes who will also hear Ben's tale in order emphasize safety. Hopefully it will reinforce that established education and training has no exceptions and must be taken seriously at every level, as long as we continue to dive.

We can take this incident and use it to teach and learn, but its still difficult to get past the fact that Ben's training, as highlighted by the information revealed from his logbook, included plenty of courses that would enlighten a person's knowledge about the inherent dangers of the following:

Hypothermia. A planned multi-hour dive in 68 degree water in a wetsuit.
Narcosis. An extended deep dive on air with a complex staging plan.
Solo Diving. No one topside even knew of the dive plan.
Full penetration cave diving. The rules have been discussed.
Pushing limits vs diving well within limits.
Aggressive dive planning.

Now there is a two pronged mystery.
1.Where is he?
2.Why did he make the final decision to ignore all of the above and to modify the last line of defense(the gate) and what happened after he passed through that gate.

Hopefully, all of the readers of this thread and the students who will hear about it, will learn from it and make adjustments to prevent future nightmares.

My story can be found among the threads here under Accidents and Incidents. I am full cave certified. On July 4th of this year, one hour east of Vortex at JB, I was diving using all the rules. I was diving well within the limits of my training, gas management, depth and I had 4 lights not three as well as a continuous line out. We were around 500 ft linear at about 95ft deep when I noticed a pressure on my chest. I turned the dive and my buddy and I began the exit but something was terribly wrong. I began coughing and my ability to breathe began to diminish.
I do not say this lightly at all when I say that the training that I received from Aletheia(Diverdeva) along with the mentoring I received from John(Cave Diver) and others who were the toughest on me began to start clicking in my mind. Stop, think, make a plan and then execute it, never panic, never give up. This was automatic. Even now it is hard for me to believe myself how this training clicked in and my actions were dictated by it. My mind continued to assess the situation the whole way out of the cave. When the breathing got so bad It occurred to me to begin to purge the regulator in my mouth because the exertion to breathe was so great. Even after crawling out of the cavern zone because I had become so weak I could no longer swim I did not pop to the surface but made a controlled enough ascent to keep from embolization. I have no doubt in my mind that this training and mentoring is why I am still here.
For those who are not familiar with what happened to me, I was having an Immersion Pulmonary Edema, a rapid onset that is a rare phenomenon that is poorly understood and can happen to a swimmer or diver with no health issues. The cardiologists and pulmonary doctors all confirmed I had no medical issues during and after my 3 day stay at 2 hospitals.
I have so many dive buddies and friends who have mentored me, helped me, worked on gear and drills with me and spent many wonderful hours of diving with and encouraging me. They were all sweet, concerned, helpful and always there for me. What got me out of that cave that day though was the tough love like you are hearing today. The rules and knowing them saved my life that day. I had only moments to spare. The cardiologist told me I was within minutes of being put on a respirator when I arrived at the hospital.
The people here care. They really do. I know them. I dive with them. What they are saying right now may seem very harsh and uncaring but it is just the opposite. They really do care.

They will search the park today using horses and cadaver dogs. It has now been declared a crime scene. The FBI has been called in. This is from Ben's father. Thanks to all the divers who searched for him. May the Lord watch over you.

They will search the park today using horses and cadaver dogs. It has now been declared a crime scene. The FBI has been called in. This is from Ben's father. Thanks to all the divers who searched for him. May the Lord watch over you.

Thank you for letting us know. We really do wish that anything but this had happened. Our thoughts and prayers are still and always, with you.

...They really do care.
Indeed we do. Ben and his family have been on my prayer list since Friday morning (I was at Vortex when the initial alarm went up) and continue to be. At the same time, it is my duty as a dive professional to analyze this mishap, identify hazards (actions by the mishap diver that led up to the mishap) and lessons learned, then pass that information along to the community with the objective of preventing future mishaps of the same nature. When hazards are from careless or (especially) intentional unsafe actions by the mishap diver, that can be hard for loved ones to hear... but sparing feelings won't save someone else. The process can seem brutal at times; we must remember that in the end the legacy may well be future saved lives. Others' mishaps have, without a shred of doubt, saved mine, both in the air and under water. More than a few times.
Love,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom