Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually accident analysis by the people who were there is some of the best information there is. Think about the accidents that came forward with information in a timely fashion like the wkpp cave diver who dropped his deep bailout instead of his deco gas. Root cause from the people on the dive.

In this case the people in the dive probably don't know what happened but they could comment on the mood of the individual who passed, comment on their pool/classroom time, comment on the environmental factors, etc.

Objective description from those involved wouldn't be a problem as long as they have already told their story to the authorities.

I think my conception of "overweight" differs from others that are overly nit picky.

The amount of weight that is "perfect" versus the amount of weight that allows an easier descent, and to stay still on the bottom.

In my case, I needed an extra 2 pounds to be able to stay still on the bottom of 50' of ocean, for my checkout dives. Or else a full breath would make me float up, even with an empty BC.

Just as an added point, there is not only no requirement that you be still on the bottom during your OW dives, it really shouldn't be happening at all. I never let my students touch the bottom, let alone anchor themselves to it. In the case of this incident, the students were using a platform. When the use of a platform is required (and, yes, it is required at many sites), the students should be hovering at a side of the platform throughout the portion of the dive in which they are performing required skills.

The last article cited said that the victim and her buddy were diving in a way that suggested they were not doing skills at the platform but were instead touring. That part raises questions about how the tour portion of the dive was conducted.

Actually accident analysis by the people who were there is some of the best information there is. Think about the accidents that came forward with information in a timely fashion like the wkpp cave diver who dropped his deep bailout instead of his deco gas. Root cause from the people on the dive.

In this case the people in the dive probably don't know what happened but they could comment on the mood of the individual who passed, comment on their pool/classroom time, comment on the environmental factors, etc.

Objective description from those involved wouldn't be a problem as long as they have already told their story to the authorities.
So how much stock would you put into appraisals from OW students with so little experience, but currently under a lot of stress?

Well - I am making sure that I am there for my friends to help them process what happened and to focus on removing emotion from fact (I'm an investigator in my land-job).
They both sound like they are doing okay and their detail recall is amazing even myself. I cannot speak as a master diver (not yet - hopefully in the next couple of years), and I don't want to come off as such - just someone relating information about the situation to a group to help us (me and my friends) learn from what happened and hopefully help prevent this from happening as we move forward diving.

Maybe a little off topic, but I was diving in another Virginia quarry (Millbrook) on Sunday and noticed what seemed to be an open water class being conducted in what I measured to be 18" visibility (at various spots from 15 - 50 feet). I didn't count how many instructors / DM's per student there were and I am only speculating on it being an OW class (from my observations of the group figuring out how to attach their snorkels), but I wouldn't think that responsible training. Any thoughts?

Far too many people witnessed components of the in-water circumstances for this accident to end in mystery. Authorities are working hard assembling the exact sequence of the event's narrative as we speak. A bit of patience will end a lot of speculation.

I would like to personally thank each member of the rescue team and recognize the heroic efforts of those who assembled on the dock to fight for her life.

My most sincere condolences to the family and friends as they deal with this tragedy in the absence of their loved one.

HIGHwing... Thank you! I was a member of the search team along with 5 other divers. I think I was the lowest ranking search diver as a MSD. I will say that we all geared up and proceeded to the search area very quickly upon notification of a missing diver. You're absolutely right, the on-dock team including the divers, doctors and nurses were amazing and gave all they had.

There is a LOT of known information about the entire incident that has been reported to the onsite Law Enforcement, EMTs, and to PADI. There is also a ton of speculation that is simply that!

I for one will leave the examination of this tragedy to the professionals that are trained to evaluate every nuance of the information available.

Colliam7 wrote
PADI standards require Direct Supervision of the students during OW dives - you cannot leave them unattended at any time during the dives, either on the surface or underwater.
This is incorrect (although in the particular instance, perhaps irrelevant due to a lack of a CA). From the PADI Instructor Manual, 2012:
Instructor conducts and directly supervises all open water dives.

Exceptions – instructor indirect supervision
Certified
assistants supervising student divers during surface swims toand from the entry-exit point and during navigational exercises, as well as when remaining with the class when the instructor conducts a skill such as an ascent or descent with a student or student team.

Certified assistants guiding student divers (at a ratio of 2:1) on Dives
2-4 during the tour portion.

In addition, the definition of "Direct Supervision" is to my mind, perhaps a little vague. It appears to be very clear that "direct supervision" does NOT mean being within arm's reach (or else how could you "directly supervise" 8 students at once!).

For what it is worth, due to our local conditions, I have a personal Open Water limit of 2 students at a time. This can make for some VERY long sessions!

So many people with details but nobody wants to report those details here? I am not sure I understand the motivation behind all of the " I was there and know what happened, but I am not willing to share it and by the way, please stop the speculation" posts. These posts contribute nothing. I, along with many scubaboard members, follow the accidents and incidents forum in hopes of learning from the mistakes of others. Without details we learn nothing and unfortunately far too many of these details are never made available. Are people concerned about repercussions from posting details? Perhaps there needs to be a means to post details anonymously in these threads. There could be a positive aspect for all of these incidents if there was a lesson to be learned, but without details there is no lesson.

Wow,

A lot of speculation and finger pointing. The law will figure who is at fault. SSI, PADI, NAUI.. the OW limit is 8 students to 1 instructor and no DM is required. The addition of a DM will usually up the limit to 10 to 1 as long as the DM is current with their organization and is cayying insurance. Yes I like to have a DM with me or another instructor and prefer a 6 to 1 limit myself, but that is me!

I want to thank the rescue team and all of the folks that participated in helping her and I want to ask that instead of laying out blame or playing Judge Judy here on Scuba Board, ask yourself what if was me in the instructor's shoes or what if it was me her husband and/or family member....How would you feel reading this post.

The best advice I can give is to send your prayers out to those involved and the family and be thankful that some folks put their necks out to save her. This is not a sport without risk and we all hope that we never have to experience this as a diver of one level or another.

Back
Top Bottom