Accident at Lake Rawlings Sunday 05/27/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

According to PADI standards, a single instructor is allowed to handle up to 8 students. Can you explain how this can be done with skills like CESA or alternate air ascent? As I read your post, it is not possible for a single instructor to deal with more than a student at a time. I must be misunderstanding.
A good point, and it gets at the heart of the clarification I was trying to make. I am not at all suggesting that one instructor cannot deal with more than one student at a time. Rather, for certain skills performed during the OW dives, certain provisions need to be made, if the requirement that 'students are not to be left unattended' is to be met. Clearly, if a CA is present, life is easier. But, if I have 8 students doing their OW dives (i.e. within the accepted 8:1 ratio), AND I am without a CA, I have to find a way to retain 'control', and provide 'direct supervision', when doing individual skills that involve ascents, or underwater compass swims, etc. If I have two students doing Alternate Air Source use, then an AAS Ascent, obviously both students ascend. But, I cannot leave any students 'unattended' on the platform where we started, so If I have any students underwater, but not doing the skill, they have to ascend as well. The same is true for the CESA. The same would be true for the out and back u/w compass navigation, where all students swim with the student doing the compass run.

Certainly, many of us (instructors) have ear issues after an OW weekend because of the substantial number of ascents / descents we do across the 4 dives, and to expose student divers to that same uncomfortable experience seems unwise. The solution that at least a few instructors adopt (logically) is leave the remaining students on the surface and take students down 1-2 at a time for the specific skills. (They are presumably 'safer' left alone on the surface than underwater.) The problem is, that approach does not meet the requirement that you 'Do not leave student divers unattended, either at the surface or underwater'. As Peter pointed out, there are exceptions, but those exceptions apply when a CA is involved.
Hawkwood:
I have had it told to me that the student(s) not doing the skill also have to make the ascents so that everyone is up and down together.
That has been my understanding (from PADI) as well, hence my comment.
Hawkwood:
When I have been alone with only two students, that was what I did during the CESA. The student not doing the CESA came up along us. I avoid not using an assistant like the plague.
Absolutely, although I have to do so (conduct OW without an assistant) at times. I will be doing so next week in the Keys, with two OW students.

I wasn't trying to make this issue a focus of the thread, and as I said in an early post in this thread, I wasn't at Rawlings last weekend, don't have many details of the accident, and not suggesting the instructor did anything wrong or violated standards, and I do not know if a CA was involved. Rather, I was responding to Mark's perception / statement about the (required) presence of a DM.
bankyf:
The only truly correct answer is that the other 7 wait on shore while the skill is performed. This is one of those things that really cannot realistically be done 100% to the standards. Perhaps that is why you see so many instructors violating this rule.
Yep. And, they / we usually get away with it. But, ponder this, and I am not suggesting this occurred at Lake Rawlings: you have a group of 6 OW (PADI) students, you do not have a CA, you are doing the CESA skill, and descending with the students one at a time to perfom the skill beginning on a platform 22 feet underwater. Each time you descend, you leave 5 students unattended on the surface, with explicit instructions to 'stay close together and watch each other'. After the fourth CESA, when you surface and count, there are only a total of 5 students on the surface. Nobody knows where the 6th student is. A search is quickly mobilized, the mssing student is located unresponsive on the bottom, 40 feet from the platform, and resuscitation efforts performed after the student diver is brought to the surface are, tragically, unsuccesful. You as the instructor are sued for negligence, and failure to adhere to the training standards of your agency, specifically that you 'Do not leave student divers unattended, either at the surface or underwater'. Do you think PADI will join in your legal defense?

Last edited:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

We're getting off topic. Please stop with the CESA, PADI standards comments. I'll open a thread somewhere else for that discussion or one of the moderators participating here can.

Let's get back to the topic, please.

FACTS:

A 35 year old woman drowned at Lake Rawlings.
She was on her third Open Water dive.
Her instructor was David Hays, an instructor and owner of Splash Dive Center in Alexandria, VA.

Is any of the above in dispute?

What other facts are the witnesses willing to present?

I find it troubling that it is easier to get information out of Mexico than it is to get it a few hours from Washington, DC. The next time the Cozumel forum erupts in comments about cover-ups and lack of information, I'll point them to this thread.

Last edited:
What other facts are the witnesses willing to present?
It's been established that her Instructor and her buddy/husband lost sight of her.

From the article cited earlier:

The woman disappeared during a live dive exercise, with her husband acting as her dive buddy. She and other divers were descending 27 feet to explore an artifact.

Regarding the facts, I have read multiple reports that the diver was in her mid-thirties, from northern Virginia, and the incident occurred during her third OW dive. I have not read that she was specifically 35 years old.

Regarding the facts, I have read multiple reports that the diver was in her mid-thirties, from northern Virginia, and the incident occurred during her third OW dive. I have not read that she was specifically 35 years old.

It has been released that she is 35, but the name is being withheld. Not sure why, unless it is at the request of the family and even then I am not sure why.

Woman drowns scuba diving in lake - NBC12.com-Richmond, VA News, Weather, Traffic & Sports
A 35-year-old woman died while scuba diving at Lake Rawlings Sunday, according to the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office.
The woman disappeared during a live dive exercise, with her husband acting as her dive buddy. She and other divers were descending 27 feet to explore an artifact. She was found ten minutes later in 57 feet of water and airlifted to VCU Medical Center where she died.
Her name hasn't been released as officers work to notify her family members. The Medical Examiners Office will determine the exact cause of death.
It seems odd that several news reports say they were going to explore and artifact, perhaps echoing one source - since it was an OW class.

It seems that all too often people get seperated and just never go to the surface. When they see you are gone, they will not keep searching for you indefinately, they will surface. Even if there was a technical problem that could have kept her from surfacing, she could have made an emergency buoyancy ascent, or dropped her weights. OW checkout dives are designed with depths and time in mind so that if there is a problem a student or the group can surface almost as quickly as they like with no adverse problems.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom