Acceptable New Tank Damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter...

Being VIP certified...you should know gouges/cuts/dings...in 3AL cylinders...with .300'' wall thickness ''maximum''...030''...deep...

Having said that...I wouldn't accept a ''new'' tank unless it was perfect...and it's either flawless...or it isn't...

Don't forget your fills from shops other than the shop where the tank was purchased...are filled at the fillers discretion...being gouged like that...most certified fillers...especially certified gas blenders are going to err on the side of safety and refuse to fill the tank...I wouldn't fill it in my shop...

Most manufacturers when advised of this type of damage will ask the shop to drill a half inch hole through the tank at the serial number...request a transmitted photo of the tank after being drilled...and then issue the shop with a credit...this is Catalina's practice...

Any cylinder and any valve can be O2 cleaned...the valve requires complete dis-assembly...proper cleaning with the proper cleaning solution...thorough drying...and reassembly with a new service kit which includes Viton ''O'' rings and oxygen compatible lubricants...if the valve has been previously used...the burst disc should also be replaced with the correct disc being dependent on tank pressure...

If you're getting the runaround...find another retailer...try Dive Gear Express...

Dive Safe...

Warren
Thanks Warren.

I almost measured the cut but then came to your sentiment that I shouldn't have to deal with that on a new tank. I'm going to get a refund and go to DGX. I would have done that originally but the other store was less expensive. I guess I know why now.

Peter

Thanks Warren.

I almost measured the cut but then came to your sentiment that I shouldn't have to deal with that on a new tank. I'm going to get a refund and go to DGX. I would have done that originally but the other store was less expensive. I guess I know why now.

Peter

Peter...

Good!!

When we're content to accept less...we inevitably get less...and with so much of this gear that we cherish being made ''offshore''...we are already getting less even when it's perfect...

Dive Safe...

Warren

Absolutely none.

Really need to break this into two questions:
  1. Is the cylinder acceptable for use?
  2. If so, is the new cylinder also in a condition acceptable to the customer?
Regarding the first question: those scrapes in the 2nd photo don't bother me, but I would want to measure the depth of that small gouge. Especially now that I know that image is of a 40cf cylinder, not an 80.

The second question is totally up to @Peter Slater
Could always choose to accept the blemishes, but negotiate for a discounted price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom