Acceptable New Tank Damage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My LDS in Key West does not O2 clean cylinders as they are not equipped with a clean room to work in. I happen to know their tech is qualified and certified and capable of doing so, but won't because the room she has to work in is incapable of being cleaned to the point where she would put O2 in a cylinder.

For the OP, I would not accept the first cylinder for any use, as it appears that the cut/slice/whatever it is is deeper than the allowable pit/damage.

The second cylinder looks OK, but I'd still be grumpy about it.

My understanding is that it's more about lube selection and o-ring selection in the valve in a new tank. Maybe they're all using o2 compatible lube/orings these days?
Not that simple. Use of O2 compatible components does not equal O2 clean.
Perhaps be a little skeptical regarding the O2 clean status of your brand new cylinder. For example, Luxfer site says they do NOT ship O2 clean, and haven’t for quite a while.
Are Luxfer scuba cylinders ready for oxygen service when they leave the Luxfer factory?
Also, some valves by design are air only and can’t be cleaned for EAN or O2 use. Other new valves usually say they are ready for use up to 40%, not more.
And O2 clean can’t be verified by a simple visual inspection, it requires a documented procedure.

Not that simple. Use of O2 compatible components does not equal O2 clean.
Perhaps be a little skeptical regarding the O2 clean status of your brand new cylinder. For example, Luxfer site says they do NOT ship O2 clean, and haven’t for quite a while.
Are Luxfer scuba cylinders ready for oxygen service when they leave the Luxfer factory?
Also, some valves by design are air only and can’t be cleaned for EAN or O2 use. Other new valves usually say they are ready for use up to 40%, not more.
And O2 clean can’t be verified by a simple visual inspection, it requires a documented procedure.

Thanks. The tank did come with an oxygen compatible valve. I think this with the cosmetic damage is enough to make me uncomfortable enough to return the second tank too.

I will probably not try my luck on a third tank from this store. Has anyone bought tanks from DGX before? Do you know how they handle oxygen cleaning?

I've purchased tanks from dgx. On their site AL40s have a special option for oxygen clean which includes a special "oxygen" valve, sticker, and some other stuff. I believe I chose that option. Nonetheless I've been filling the AL40 with o2 for a couple years and my lds gave me no problems about VIP'ing the tank and servicing the valves when the tank was up for inspection.

I've purchased a few AL80s from them too, for 50% and stage bottles. I think they are a good place to purchase tanks from as long as your LDS won't give you grief about filling tanks with another shop's sticker on them.

I've purchased tanks from dgx. On their site AL40s have a special option for oxygen clean which includes a special "oxygen" valve, sticker, and some other stuff. I believe I chose that option. Nonetheless I've been filling the AL40 with o2 for a couple years and my lds gave me no problems about VIP'ing the tank and servicing the valves when the tank was up for inspection.

I've purchased a few AL80s from them too, for 50% and stage bottles. I think they are a good place to purchase tanks from as long as your LDS won't give you grief about filling tanks with another shop's sticker on them.

Thanks. I believe that was what I am looking for. I liked that the valve was modified for safer oxygen use. My LDS has been great about accepting stickers so getting it filled won't be a problem.

Hydro stamps are not a good reference for acceptable damage. Hydro stamps go on the top where the metal is thicker.
Right. If someone semi-trained stamps on the thin wall below the shoulder, the cylinder is toast.

I recently bought a new tank online and had to exchange it because there was a deep cut in it.

How much damage would you accept on a brand new cylinder?

Peter...

Being VIP certified...you would know gouges/cuts/dings...in 3AL cylinders...with .300'' wall thickness ''maximum''...030''...deep...

Having said that...I wouldn't accept a ''new'' tank unless it was perfect...and it's either flawless...or it isn't...

Don't forget your fills from shops other than the shop where the tank was purchased...are filled at the fillers discretion...being gouged like that...most certified fillers...especially certified gas blenders are going to err on the side of safety and refuse to fill the tank...I wouldn't fill it in my shop...

Most manufacturers when advised of this type of damage will ask the shop to drill a half inch hole through the tank at the serial number...request a transmitted photo of the tank after being drilled...and then issue the shop with a credit...this is Catalina's practice...

Any cylinder and any valve can be O2 cleaned...the valve requires complete dis-assembly...proper cleaning with the proper cleaning solution...thorough drying...and reassembly with a new service kit which includes Viton ''O'' rings and oxygen compatible lubricants...if the valve has been previously used...the burst disc should also be replaced with the correct disc being dependent on tank pressure...

If you're getting the runaround...find another retailer...try Dive Gear Express...

Dive Safe...

Warren

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom