Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is that a HP port or a burst disk????:confused:

nyresq once bubbled...
Is that a HP port or a burst disk????:confused:

It has both a burst disc and an HP port. It was made for use with older regulators that did not have an HP port themselves (like most of the double hose regulators). See the attached photo of the back side of a K-valve version of this valve. It shows both the burst disc and HP port.

Absurd equipment?

A snorkel when you have a tank (or two) of gas on your back.

An alternate reg that's hanging where you won't be able to find it or it won't work when you need it.

A consol, unless you need something big and flat to paddle a boat with.

fins that are broken when you buy them that you pay extra for.

Retractors.

This thread has degenerated from a comical thread about outrageous gear into a thread that is a competition between minimalists, and those that like their gadgets.

Minimalists think that they are superior by streamlining their gear and 'bang their heads against a wall' if someone else doesn't do as they do.

Gadget heads love to dive and fail to see what the big **** deal is if you are doing a wall dive?

Cave diving in Wakulla? OK, different setup. Cave diving anywhere? Different setup.

Diving on Brac...where the kitchen sink for all I care.

Most OW dives? Put as much as you feel comfy diving with on your gear.

Quit pissing on each other and respect the differences in the dives that you will be doing.

Seems to be that most of the ridicule is coming from the minimalist divers, though. I saw the same trend in backpacking and climbing.

When will I ever escape those that feel superior based on methods, techniques, and equipment?

I'm tired of Prima Donna's that feel that their way is the only 'RIGHT' way.

Have fun, quit ridiculing other's methods and choices and by default, those that gear up differently than you.

This crap disgusts me.

ew1usnr once bubbled...
It has both a burst disc and an HP port. It was made for use with older regulators that did not have an HP port themselves

Dude! You forgot the newer version that also had the built in pressure guage. You remember it don't you? Had the brass filter to prevent the nasty air in your tank from contaminating the little metal rod....

it saved you from buying a spg and a hose that could rupture?

ARRR!

Just fanning the flames!!!!

Hallmac

ScottyK once bubbled...

Hey! I love those!!!

OK....Just kidding...I couldn't resist :D

I haven't seen them advertised in a while, but I remember getting a smile from a product who's name I can no longer remember.

It was a squeezeable pouch with a tube that you inserted through your mouthpiece. The premise was that you filled it with your beverage of choice, and squeezed the bag to get a drink while diving.

I was trying to imagine what happened when you unxpectedly bump the bag, or squeeze it too hard and start choking at 100' :rolleyes:

All of the sudden I'm thinking the acid in soda can't possibly be good to mix in your regulator....I think I'll leave this one at the dive store.

Hallmac once bubbled...
Dude! You forgot the newer version that also had the built in pressure guage. Had the brass filter to prevent the nasty air in your tank from contaminating the little metal rod....
it saved you from buying a spg and a hose that could rupture?

I've got several of those (see photo)! The little tire-pressure type rod gauge on the back of the valve is marked "F 1/2 E". The built-in pressure gauge has it's own little separate filter. It works for not getting empty tanks mistaken for full ones. It doesn't do a diver much good on a dive because it is behind the divers head. The gauge might be useful if the tank were used as a stage or deco bottle, though.

DCAR stood for "Depth Compensating Adjustable Reserve". The reserve automatically increases frpm 300 to 600 psi as the diver goes deeper. Or, the diver can manually set the reserve at 600 psi. When it was introduced back around 1973, Scubapro called it "The Valve of the Future, .... Today!" That valve cost $72 new, which was more expensive than a Scubapro first stage regulator. They are a piece of work. It's too bad that Scubapro did not include a HP port. I like the DCAR valve, but the Dacor J-valve will let me use a pressure gauge when I swim with my double hose regulators. See double hose thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37835

I can't find a link, but there was a electronic depth controller that would add and remove air from your BC to maintain neutral bouyancy. It also had buttons for up/down. Apparently it had some problems compensating for breathing.

haha, I dunno if anyone has mentioned this but look on eBay at the low pressure hose for a reg that has a water bottle attached. It says it solves the problem of getting thirsty underwater... like we go diving in the Sahara or something...=-)

ew1usnr once bubbled...
It doesn't do a diver much good on a dive because it is behind the divers head. The gauge might be useful if the tank were used as a stage or deco bottle, though.

And here I thought everyone knew I was being funny. dang I'll have to work on that.

Hallmac

Back
Top Bottom