Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
Absurd equipment?

A snorkel when you have a tank (or two) of gas on your back.

An alternate reg that's hanging where you won't be able to find it or it won't work when you need it.

A consol, unless you need something big and flat to paddle a boat with.

fins that are broken when you buy them that you pay extra for.

Retractors.

Snorkels can be used on the surface in rough water if you have a long surface swim and empty tanks, or used to assist in rescue swimming.

I love my split fins.

My SPG is mounted on a retractor, it keeps it out of the way.

Obsure is in the eye of the beholder...

This is the first time I've seen one of these. It looks nicely made, but the light is probably too small to be of any reel (pun) use.

The item retails for $120 and does not include the flashlight or the clip hook shown in the picture.

"Lighted Dive Reel. Precision Dive Gear manufactures the premium "dive reel", perfect for finding your way back under extreme conditions. Manufactured to hold an underwater light in the same hand with the "dive reel". The "dive reel" is manufactured to close tolerances to prevent fouling of the line between spool and frame and is "ergonomically enhanced" for comfort."

I don't think that these would work. It looks like it would slide around and the D-ring would end up where you couldn't reach it. If you didn't have a boot on your tank the thing could slide completely off.
SCUBA "D" Lites - portable tank "D" rings.
"They are light duty 1" solid brass, welded "D" rings that you attach to your tanks via a ballistic Nylon strap and a unique, heavy-duty push button swivel snap. They are meant for light duty purposes: holding a lift bag, holding a cave reel, attaching a breakaway dive flag, etc. They can be quickly and easily secured to rental tanks. They make great Christmas gifts as well. Note: Not recommended for DECO Bottles."

What good would this be? Where could you get it filled? How durable would a fiberglass wrap be on a scuba tank?

BRAND NEW LUXFER ALUMINUM & FIBERGLASS CYLINDER & DIN VALVE / 106 CU/FT @ 4,350 PSI: These are the brand new high pressure 4,350 psi cylinders from Luxfer, you can dive the future right now ! The high pressure cylinders have been in use in Europe for over 20 years, they are finally legal to use in the USA. Luxfer is now shipping and we are one of the few that have them currently in stock. Most of the better dive shops can fill these with no problems because all of the Scuba compressors made within the last 20 years have a working pressure of 5,000 psi. These tanks are small and lightweight because of the super strong fiberglass wrap. Comes complete with 300 bar DIN valve. This is the same technology that has been used for fire fighter air packs for the last 10 years, and is it is now finally DOT approved for SCUBA use. If you are one of those guys who likes owning the best toys, and having the highest performance products, this is your dream come true. Why mess around with a steel HP cylinder that is going to rust when you can now have a rust free aluminum ? These are great to dive with, the balance is excellent ! Low drag and lightweight ! CERTIFIED DIVE READY: Each cylinder is inspected by a factory technician before is is shipped to you, so everything is dive ready and perfect. VIP iinspection is included. These cylinders & valves are O2 cleaned so they are Nitrox ready. Note: These cylinders require a hydro testing every 3 years and will fit all standard back packs and BCD's. They must be used with DIN regulators, older style standard Yoke types will not work. We suggest high grade regulator models like the Zeagle products for best results. MFG. TEST DATE: 9/03 HEIGHT: 26.1" DIAMETER: 7.39" COLOR: White WEIGHT IN AIR: 33.8 POUNDS / 15.3 kg. WEIGHT IN WATER: 24.45 POUNDS / 11.09 kg. BUOYANCY FULL: -4.84 POUNDS BUOYANCY EMPTY: +3.10 POUNDS THREAD SIZE: 0.875-14UNF-2B CAPACITY: 105.2 cu/ft / 2976.4 liters. MANUFACTURE: Luxfer USA. MODEL: 2003 S106W / 300 bar STARTING BID: $385.00

ew1usnr once bubbled...
What good would this be? Where could you get it filled? How durable would a fiberglass wrap be on a scuba tank?
BUOYANCY FULL: -4.84 POUNDS
BUOYANCY EMPTY: +3.10 POUNDS

There was some discussion on fibreglass tanks over on the tank forum. For some reason (which I cannot recall) it is stupid to use them for SCUBA use. Perhaps it is that buoyancy swing, I don't know.

KrisB once bubbled...

There was some discussion on fibreglass tanks over on the tank forum. For some reason (which I cannot recall) it is stupid to use them for SCUBA use. Perhaps it is that buoyancy swing, I don't know.

The buoyancy swing on a tank has nothing to do with what the tank is made of but simply the volume of air it holds. 12.8 ft^3 of air weighs 1 lb, it doesn't matter if your in an AL80 or a steel 120.

Firefighters use these for their SCBA's. They are light and easily carried in addition to other firefighting gear.

I saw several of these at a dive shop in Summerville, SC. Naturally me and my buddies asked about them and were told that for diving they were not so great. (The ones we saw were ready to be filled and were the fire department's) Evidently they have a high propensity for damage. It would be easy to damage them by bumping into them. While this might not cause failure, it would cause me not to use one while diving.

I'll stick with the tried and true AL 80's.

most fire dept are using tanks in the 30 cuft range with some using 45 or 60 cuft. these tanks are filled to 4500psi to achieve these fills. And from personal experience I can tell you these tanks are VERY positive in water, even when full they will float. The newest tanks in the fire service are now carbon fiber wrapped. These tanks also have a service life of 15 years, period. two hydros after manufature and then they are destroyed.
The old fiberglass and not so old kevlar tanks are being replaced with these lighter carbon wrapped tanks.

as far as toughness with a fiberglass wrap, there is a saying in the fire service "put a naked fireman in an empty room with an anvil and close the door for five minutes, when you open it back up the anvil will be broken....and the fireman will be drunk... "

Firefighters are the most equipment abusive people on the face of the earth, if the tanks survive firefighters, they can survive scuba diving.:)

nyresq once bubbled...
"put a naked fireman in an empty room with an anvil and close the door for five minutes, when you open it back up the anvil will be broken....and the fireman will be drunk... "

You gotta love someone with this kind of ability!

*S* I know about breaking things! I used to do demolitions for the military. I'll still stick with my AL 80's.

I know that firefighters are tough on equipment. Who else besides soldiers can be more tough on it? Firefighters and SCUBA divers operate in the exact opposite environments and with different support structures.

Tell you what, when firemen take AL 80's to a call, I'll take a tank designed for a SCBA underwater.

Colin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom