Absurd dive equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TIRED OF BEING A SCUBA AIR HOG? THIS PRODUCT WILL IMPROVE YOUR BREATHING EFFICIENCY FOR BETTER AIR CONSUMPTION.---ALSO GREAT FOR FREE DIVERS!!!

Breathing Resistance Exercise = Stronger Lungs = Greater Lung Capacity & Endurance.
The #1 Choice of Swimmers, Divers, and Triathletes.

The"EXPAND-A-LUNG" breathing resistance exerciser is a new breakthrough for increasing lung capacity and endurance.-- Research from the University of Zurich supports that this type of exercise significantly improves the endurance of respiratory muscles, and increases the volume of ventilation.--

Have to vote for the tank lights absolutely worthless...

Also does anyone remember the "air buddy" I think it was called, no octo to speak of just a hose with a small tilt valve at the end to use as a backup, very streamlined.- It came out at DEMA a few years back.

Also the self-inflating BC that automatically compensated for depth by putting air in your BC- an accident waiting to happen.

Force Fins definatley get an honorable mention

MOST of what we use in diving would be looked at as silly by somebody.

Why is a tank valve light more silly than a light stick?

Why is a force fin bad but a rocket fin is great?

Heck, diving those old twin hose regulators with small tanks made depth gages and pressure gages redundant. Wet suits and computers (including that Bottom timer that I would call the Un-computer) did not exist. Dry suits were used only by commercial hard hat divers.

The real definition of an absurd piece of equipment?
Any gear that I am not using that gives me the opportunity to make fun of someone else.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

pipedope once bubbled...
Heck, diving those old twin hose regulators with small tanks made depth gages and pressure gages redundant.

If you know what depth the bottom is, a depth gauge is not needed. Example, Alexander Spring is 25-feet max depth, give or take a few feet. A depth gauge will not tell me anything that I do not already know.

A J-valve IS a type of a pressure gauge. I am finished with apologizing for liking them.

I tried a pair of Force fins while skin diving in a fast flowing river. I was kicking fast and it didn't feel like I was wearing fins. BUT, I was moving against the current, and at a good pace.

An auto-inflator can stick and cause a BC to become "self inflating". Auto-inflators are accidents waiting to happen. (This is an exaggeration, made to make a point).

These are actually a nice idea in theory if you're going to use some kind of light stick or marker light (which some ops even require at night.) Always there and one less dangely thing.

But they are junk or turn into it quickly - there's far too short a length of thread between the ON, OFF, and FLOOD settings.

I am finished with apologizing for liking them.

We won't get tired of explaining how they're dangerous. There's a reason no one makes them anymore. They're NOT a 'kind of pressure gauge.' They're a crutch for improper gas management, especially when you have better options available.

If the only diving you ever do is in 25 feet of water, hey - go ahead and risk your life. But if you want to dive a J valve in 90 feet and you discover that the little lever thing has already flipped, well - I hope you used a coffin as your save-a-dive case.

Only needed by people that are so unskilled or lazy that they can't remove their reg and orally inflate their BCD.
Can't have runaway inflation when you don't have a power inflator.

BCD power inflators rank right up there with other useless gear like computers, split fins, force fins, dry snorkels, and purge masks.

One mans treasure is another man's trash.

.:eek:ut: :banana:

Boogie711 once bubbled...
There's a reason no one makes them anymore.

Look at MAR-VEL diver's supply. They sell new J-valves and rebuild kits.

http://www.mar-vel.com

"They're a crutch for improper gas management."
Gas mangement? I breathe the tank down and come up.

[/i] If the only diving you ever do is in 25 feet of water, hey - go ahead and risk your life. [/QUOTE]

Risk my life? In 25-feet of open water? Should I also be using a wings BC, a twin valve manifold, a 7-foot octopus hose, and Nitrox? That's absurd. So I guess it fits with this thread.

And I am also inclined to agree with charlie99: "Can't have runaway inflation when you don't have a power inflator."

My point was that in 25 feet, you can do whatever you want. If you want to be stupid and dive a J valve in 25 feet, go right ahead. Chances are good you can pull of an ESA. It's hardly the safest practice on earth, but hey - I know I'll never buddy with you, so go ahead and put your life at risk.

Now, in 90 feet, when your "gas management" consists of "I breathe the tank down and come up," I'd like to see what happens after you discover the little lever was flipped down.

Actually, check that - I don't want to see what happens. I get grossed out easily, and watching someone puke out a lung could really ruin my day.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
I know I'll never buddy with you

I would rather have my teeth drilled.

[/i]Now, in 90 feet, when your "gas management" consists of "I breathe the tank down and come up," I'd like to see what happens after you discover the little lever was flipped down. [/QUOTE]

At 90-feet I prefer to use a pressure gauge in addition to my J-valve. My J-valve serves as a backup to the SPG. I've had pressure gauges flood, leak, and had a needle stick so that the gauge give me a false reading. Unlike you, I have learned not to place complete blind trust in a SPG. Or do you swim with two SPG's?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom