About to use my Hero4 silver for the first time diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You will get good results with out lights. I have a dual light setup now and love it but did a lot with out lights when I started. This video is with the backscatter filter mono pole and no lights. Breakers & Flower Garden W P B - YouTube
The only issue I saw with your video is what often happens to GoPros. Using a red filter and having the camera on auto white balance can cause irregular shifts in color during a scene. Setting the camera to a fixed or Raw WB would help solve that.

I need to look when I get home but I think mine has auto white balance set to off. Is that what you mean by fixed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 03:13 PM ----------

Sorry that may be a total newbie question

---------- Post added August 18th, 2015 at 03:15 PM ----------

Just pulled the manual. I think I was wrong. What do you fix the WB at ?

The only issue I saw with your video is what often happens to GoPros. Using a red filter and having the camera on auto white balance can cause irregular shifts in color during a scene. Setting the camera to a fixed or Raw WB would help solve that.
Yeah that used to frustrate me! Have a hero 4 silver now with tray and lights and my videos have improved. I hadn't watched that video in a long time. The color was shifting all over the place.

If I leave the protune off will the WB stay fixed?

I can only recall how I used my Hero 3 BE back when. I used Protune on and white balance Camera RAW. The image will look flat but but adding contrast fixes that. The color may not be totally accurate but consistent. I simply would use the WB picker tool and click on something white or light grey colored in the image and the color would be great then add some saturation maybe.

The Hero 4 has more options I believe. Aside from auto there is 6500k, 5500k, 3000k and native. You would have to experiment with the different temps to see which gives the best result but they would all be consistent. Native would be the same as Camera RAW in the Hero 3 which is best for total control in post.

If your not looking to do a lot of post color correcting then try out the above temp settings and choose the one that looks best.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom