About to use my Hero4 silver for the first time diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SandyUT

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI all,

I have read a lot of threads here for tips, rig ideas, and all that. So now I have my Hero4 Silver an extendable pole, Backscatter Flip set up, memory cards, extra battery, bla bla bla. Planning to shoot 1080 at 60FPS, protune off, quick capture on and the display off. the quick capture shoots the 1080/60, but I have my default mode set to vid and pic which is 1080/30fps. I hope I can get a good mix of video and stills. I have about 8 hours of memory card capacity to account for rookie screwups.

First dive trip with the GoPro will be at CCV. First time there as well.

Any last minute advise?

Thanks for all the help getting this far.

Hold the pole with two hands. Move the camera super slow. Film a shot for 2-3 times as long as you think is necessary. Stop and start the camera MANY times.. It is so much easier to work with short clips rather than long ones. Realize that if you point the camera up at the surface and then downward or into a hole, it takes a few seconds for the camera exposure to adjust, so don't pan or do anything during the transition period.

If you are shooting medium wide (which I like).. understand that it is really a pretty wide angle view, so get closer to your subject than you think you need to. If you are narrating on the surface, realize that the microphone sucks, and you will be real loud and anyone else will be too quiet.

I'll probably think of more things I have messed up on..

Also remember to flip up your red filter if you do above surface shots like on the boat or everything will be red. Easy to forget then you've got wasted RED footage.

Hey Capt. Scott. I will try to remember to remove the filter. Good call! I imagine it will happen at some point. It will take me a bit of use to get the habits
Engrained. I went through a learning curve with my old still camera as well. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used a gopole many times and my results are varied. I've just ordered the Snake River Prototype go pro tray with two light arms for more stability. I also ordered two Archon lights off of amazon that are suppose to fit the light holders. I've noticed that at deeper depth (75'+) with lower visibility (40' or less) then the backscatter filters don't work as well. They are great for super clear water but not so much for low vis settings. I'm hoping the dual lights will work better.

I am hoping the filters will be good enough for my needs. If I need to start adding lights I think I will hang up the UW photo and video habit. I need lite, easy, and fun

If I need to start adding lights I think I will hang up the UW photo and video habit.

:confused:

Can you return the camera and other stuff now and get your money back?

Naw I want to see how it goes and use it above water as well. I have seen video with filters only and I thought it was pretty good.

Looks good! I may get a light or two at some point. My old
Camera weighed 10 lbs and was such a pita I am wanting smaller and lighter. I also want to get the hang of the Hero4 before I add more peripherals. Thanks Capt.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom