Lac Cai Dive Video - Full Dive (long video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shopguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
TLDR; here is the start of the 5 part video series if you just want to jump in and watch the full dive:

First, let me start by saying our guided dive with Bas Tol was so much nicer, and I highly recommend that if you want the optimal experience. For me, I often also like to try things on my own, even though I know I will not see all the hard to find special stuff, so I did. Sharing this as a contrast to this other report, which really made me question if I wanted to try this dive even on the best of days: Shore Diving Cai in Bonaire August 2012

My wife and I dove Lac Cai yesterday, October 29, 2022, without a guide. This normally isn't recommended as the conditions can be rough and tricky, even dangerous, on the east coast of Bonaire. In this case, we were here during a special weather pattern where the wind was blowing out of the west (wind reversal they call it), making the west coast rough and the east coast very nice (at least the surface, and with our luck below surface was also good).

We didn't dive the "drift" way that we did with Bas Tol, because I'm not that good at multi-point navigation, and this was only our 2nd dive here, so not much chance I'm going to navigate based on memory. Instead, we just did a straight line out and back. The easiest line to remember even, 0 and 180 degrees. Even so, in all the excitement I managed to mess that up when setting the compass and didn't follow my normal rule/pattern of "1 line = the way out, 2 lines = the way in" -- so you'll see if you watch the video, I'm following 2 lines out and 1 line in, on the compass.

There was no noticeable current this day, except an ever so light current in the "channel". This channel is the place where the water exits the bay, and the only deep part of the bay, the place that boats use to enter/exit the bay (a boat passes over us on the way out). It was weird to see the fish and coral looking like there was current. In my experience and training, when fish are all facing the same direction and not moving, and coral/etc is all laying in one direction, you should expect or already feel the current. Also at one point in the video you will see a French angelfish "hiding" behind coral that is bent over, something that you might see in strong current.

We saw lots of tarpon, so I guess we managed to hit what they call the "tarpon pit", or at least something similar to it, on the way out and back in. The best part, for me, was that as soon as we got to the top of the reef that drops in to the deep, there was an eagle ray there to greet us, as if to say "hey, you made it, here is your prize". We didn't see any turtles or morays or many other rare and cool things that Bas Tol pointed out to us on our guided dive, but we made it out and in, and found the nice part of the reef, so I'm calling that a success and better than I could have hoped for. A little before reaching the part of the reef that is really nice, where it drops to the deep, I started thinking we were not going to make it, not going the right direction, so it was a great feeling when I saw the top and the darkness beyond it. We reached that spot at 18 minutes in to the dive, or about 50 seconds in to the "part 3" video, at only 25 foot depth.

At one point in the video you will see 3 divers with DPVs zoom by us (1 min 41 secs in to "part 4" video). Totally cheaters, but to each their own.

If you have read this far, you know I'm horrible at writing stories, so without further ado, here is the full video from start to end (feel free to fast forward most of this):

I'm not great on YouTube, or at taking and editing videos, but I think the link above should start you on the first video and auto play the others -- there are 5 parts in total. Part 1 shows right as we descend with a shot of land so you know where we started, and part 5 shows a shot of where we surfaced the first time (pretty close to exit spot), then we went back under to swim closer to the final exit spot, and the camera died a minute later, so very glad I captured a shot of the surface before it died. I was going to post as one long video, but the GoPro 7 splits long videos in to multiple files, and I didn't feel like figuring out how to join them all in to one very long video.

I see you found my old report from a decade ago. How the time flies! I, too, found a later dive there guided by Bas Tol far better! From your video I see the dense array of anemones still populate the bottom. At around 4:15 those fish in the distance...any idea what they are? They look a little too long-bodied for cubera snapper to me. I can't tell what they are. But when your video got to 4:40, with that big school of blue-striped grunts, I saw a similar looking fish closer up and it did look like maybe a cubera snapper.

I think your eagle ray is in video #3, around 6:15 and onward or so. In video 4 around 2:09 you show a trio of DPV-using divers nearby. At 4:22 I see a queen trigger fish; that's something I hardly ever (if ever?) see on the mainstream west coast sites. Then around 8:27 you show an ocean trigger fish; I have seen those on the west coast, but rarely. Nice finds!

I haven't skimmed through your 5th part yet.

Good to see some video of Cai! The main thing I remember differently is I recall a 'lawn' effort of sea grass in the shallows.

My wife and I dove Lac Cai yesterday, October 29, 2022, without a guide. This normally isn't recommended as the conditions can be rough and tricky, even dangerous, on the east coast of Bonaire. In this case, we were here during a special weather pattern where the wind was blowing out of the west (wind reversal they call it), making the west coast rough and the east coast very nice (at least the surface, and with our luck below surface was also good).
I wonder how often that happens? Years ago an old instructor of mine mentioned that when Tropical Storm Omar hit, the east coast was more diveable for similar reasons - wind reversal.

Another question...how does one know? Are people just going, looking and seeing if they see waves coming in crashing on the east coast shoreline, asking Bas Tol or watching a particular weather channel?

I hope you'll post a trip report when you guys get home.

We had a reversal on a November trip a few years back.
The first clue was that the plane landed from the east, rather than the usual west approach.
At our hotel on the west side, there were waves coming up on shore and it was obvious that the wind was blowing from the west.
The DMs at the dive shop let us know as well.

Conditions on the west side were bad that week. The only sheltered sites were in the lee of Klein, or the lee of the main island.

At around 4:15 those fish in the distance...any idea what they are?
The one in the back (last of 3), I think is a tiger grouper, the 2 in front of it might be groupers also, but less sure.

I wonder how often that happens? Years ago an old instructor of mine mentioned that when Tropical Storm Omar hit, the east coast was more diveable for similar reasons - wind reversal.

Another question...how does one know? Are people just going, looking and seeing if they see waves coming in crashing on the east coast shoreline, asking Bas Tol or watching a particular weather channel?
I think it is rare, but this is the time of year it happens more. I don't know how well it works for future predictions, but the Windy app is a great tool and always matches what I see outside for current conditions. Right now it is pouring rain, almost all day and night, so I picked a good day to work (day job). The Windy app is showing another wind reversal, winds out of the west, starting this Saturday -- if west coast isn't looking good, will probably try east coast again, especially if our boat dive with East Coast Divers gets cancelled tomorrow because of all of the predicted rain. We went out with them 2 or 3 weeks ago and during the raining part of the day (about 45 minutes?) we had to sit in the boat at the dock (or swim in the warm water as I did), so I don't think they like to go out in the rain.

I do plan on writing a trip report when back. Our flight leaves here Nov 14th, but including a stop in Mexico to pickup the dogs, and a drive from Mexico to almost Canada, will be a bit longer before home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom