About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lal7176 once bubbled...

No sweat.....i did the same thing and boy was i glad it fit:D

What do you use it for? It is way too tight to get anything out of under a set of doubles.
I finally took mine off as it served no purpose

MD

MechDiver once bubbled...

What do you use it for? It is way too tight to get anything out of under a set of doubles.
I finally took mine off as it served no purpose

MD

I keep a liftbag in mine. You have to jerk pretty hard but it comes out.

WW

I have two questions and all of them are about the money:)
1. i'm goint to purchase pioneer package. BUT, i've read in the RSD forum that couple guys bought recently halcyon AL BP and they weren't content at all, saying that the quality gone real bad (not my words, i've seen halcyon only in the i-net). so i thought may be i should buy FredT Al BP and webbing and the pioneer wing separately. This way i even save aroung $50.
2. I'm not sure what kind of material do i need. I'm diving with steel single in the 7 mm suit. So do i need AL or SS?:confused:

thanks everyone

Here's my take. I've only recently switched to BP/Wings, but did a fair amount of research ahead of time.

steel once bubbled...
I have two questions and all of them are about the money:)
1. i'm goint to purchase pioneer package. BUT, i've read in the RSD forum that couple guys bought recently halcyon AL BP and they weren't content at all, saying that the quality gone real bad (not my words, i've seen halcyon only in the i-net). so i thought may be i should buy FredT Al BP and webbing and the pioneer wing separately. This way i even save aroung $50.

It's a piece of metal with holes in it. I bought the Halcyon SS BP because I got a good deal. If I could have saved money, I would have bought FredT or Gary H. The only super important part is that the slits are deburred so you don't cut up the webbing.

2. I'm not sure what kind of material do i need. I'm diving with steel single in the 7 mm suit. So do i need AL or SS?:confused:

Well...how much weight do you need on your belt? With a 6 lb SS plate and a super heavy steel tank and a 7mm wetsuit, I'm wearing about 10 lbs around my waist. That is plenty of ditchable weight in the event of a catastrophic emergency. My buddy is about the same. 7mm is pretty bouyant. I think when people caution against steel plates and wetsuits, they are usually referring to those lucky guys who get to dive in 3/2 suits in the carribean. In that case...yeah...bad idea.

set-up from Halcyon, and I am really happy with the quality. The backplate appears to be very well made. I'd definately purchase gear from them again.

Just my .02 cents.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom