About FredT backplates & are they compatible with Halcyon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for your input. There's been a lot of great info on both products, and for the most part nothing bad about either. Since I'm still so new at this, I don't know exactly what an STA really does, and how if differs from a non-STA (and what a heavy STA is), and I wonder about the comfort of each plate due to the bends, but I'm sure that they're nearly like that each one would be comfortable. Anyway, from all the feedback I've received, I think I'm going to go with a FredT. Thanks again for all the great replies! :)

On a slightly different note, if there's one thing I'm disappointed about by getting a bp and wings setup is that, with only 5 dives so far, I probably won't appreciate just how much better a wings setup is than a typical jacket style BC. Oh well. At least I held off long enough before spending $600+ on a "tech" BC.

Now let's go dive!!

I went to a BP/wings setup after only 5 OW dives (including my certification dives) and I noticed a HUGE difference versus a jacket style BC - it really makes a difference.

As far as the Single Tank Adapter - it's necessary for most wings that don't have a provision for securing single tanks. The new pioneer wings have delrin rods that act as channels to hold the tank in position so its an integrated STA system. The only difference between a standard and heavy STA is the weight - Fred T makes an STA that weighs 5 lbs. Used in conjuction with his heavy 9 lb plate you can remove ~14 lbs off your weight belt. However, I found that the STA moved the tank further out and having that much weight on my back made a noticeable difference in my trim. It was nothing serious but there was a slight tendency to try and roll me over, and when doing a surface swim on my back it really held me in that position and I had to make an effort to get out of it due to all the weight on my back. I think its a personal decision based on how much weight you want off your belt and comfort level with the setup. I'm going back to the integrated STA on my Pioneer wing with the Fred T heavy plate - I haven't dove it yet (hopefully this weekend) but I expect it to be similar to the Halcyon BP setup I had initially. And I found the comfort to be very similar with no preference for one or the other - my decision was based solely on the extra weight of the Fred T plate.

HTH
Paul

You could probably just private message him @ his FredT handle here.

HEY, FREDT, YOU OUT THERE? SOMEBODY'S LOOKIN FOR YOU.

This should bring him out of the woodwork.

ID

and may be away from the Internet...

I can provide prices and shipping costs for any of his items if you like...just PM me.

C_C

Does the FredT SS BP holes and MC (Halcyon) Storage Pak holes line up? Has anyone tried this yet?

If I was at home I would just email Fred, but since I am at work and just spoke with Bob at Halcyon (had a 27# Pioneer problem) and thought I'd order the Pak. Now I am not sure it will fit....arghhhh.

Thanks!

Thomas

11B3Y once bubbled...
Does the FredT SS BP holes and MC (Halcyon) Storage Pak holes line up? Has anyone tried this yet?

If I was at home I would just email Fred, but since I am at work and just spoke with Bob at Halcyon (had a 27# Pioneer problem) and thought I'd order the Pak. Now I am not sure it will fit....arghhhh.

Thanks!

Thomas

I have a fredt heavy plate and the storage pak fits just fine.

Back
Top Bottom