Abnormally Cold Vacation diver in Cali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fit on a wetsuit is extremely important. We used to get custom-fitted wetsuits, but those have pretty much gone away with the super-stretch neoprene. We used to specify skin-in, neoprene out for our wetsuit, and used corn starch to get into them. We used to get wetsuits without zippers, a pull-over top with an attached hood, and “Farmer John” bottoms, but I’m not sure whether these are options currently either.

An ill-fitting wetsuit pumps water in and out with each movement of the diver’s arms and legs. This can make even the thickest wetsuit a cold wetsuit.

One option if you already have a wetsuit is to get a hooded vest for wearing under it. Be sure it fits like a glove, though getting into and out of it is somewhat more difficult. But this can be a cost-effective way to make a cooler wetsuit much warmer.

SeaRat
I agree that fit is a big problem here. Usually suits end up loose around my core. Are there brands to look for that might be more likely to work for my shape? Or custom fits in my budget?

That said, even when things fit, I still need warmer than others (i.e. in carribean waters where others dive in just their swim trunks I'm in a shortie or thin full length to be comfortable).

Unfortunately the budget really is tight so cheaper stop would be helpful.

I agree that fit is a big problem here. Usually suits end up loose around my core. Are there brands to look for that might be more likely to work for my shape? Or custom fits in my budget?

That said, even when things fit, I still need warmer than others (i.e. in carribean waters where others dive in just their swim trunks I'm in a shortie or thin full length to be comfortable).

Unfortunately the budget really is tight so cheaper stop would be helpful.
That I understand. I actually took my first drysuit to HI Islands.

A shop I bought my first wetsuit was from the Newzaland company no longer around. The Morey Challenger suit had farmer john and a jacket both as the sale. The shop did for free glue in a spine pad to take up some space that otherwise could fill with a little water. I was told I could do this myself but they took care of it anyway. You can see them selling used, but I mentioned this mostly because of the modification.

Can't remember the mm but yes I had them. What mm would you recommend? Catalina waters are 70-74°F in the summer and 55-59°F but I don't think I'll be doing mid winter dives.
The best thing you can do is 7mm hood boots and 5mm gloves. From bare ultra warm line!

At 5'10" and 135, you might want to think about a custom wetsuit. @JMJ Wetsuits has a good reputation here...

Another option would be to try a men's suit, depending on your body type.

But the dry suit advice you've been given is probably best. I'm guessing you've got pretty low body fat, and no amount of weight training is likely to make a significant difference in your cold tolerance.

there is no way in heaven that it is easier for a human being to build more muscle than fat. It's just not realistic.

You may not be able to buy a drysuit right now but I guarantee you that if you had saved $20 per month for the past 8 years you would have purchased one by now.

If you are constantly cold, there is no other way. You have to dive dry. This is what it comes down to.

If you continue to buy wetsuits, semi-dry suits, mega-wet-dry suits, you're only going to spend more and more money on things that won't solve the problem.

The electric run battery devices range in price. I saw a guy using one of these and it might have been $300 to $400 but I don't know if they are enough. It is just one pad I think on chest.

I have one of those vests from Thermulation, which is out of business now that the owner died, so not a direct comparison to the Venture vest on the market, but physics is physics. They cost about $800 new, plus extra batteries. Wet it worked ok, it took the edge off the cold, but I was still cold. I got it at half the price used, if I had to go back and had to buy new I would've just put the money toward a drysuit.

Now under a drysuit, it is pretty awesome. I was up in panhandle caves which are colder than High Springs caves. It accidentally turned on the first day, I got genuinely hot as I was working too. On the third day when I had an extended float out and deco (which means little movement), I was getting cold so I turned my vest on, I was nice and warm.

I think we have it figured out. You don't fit in the rental wetsuits. So easy to get it wrong. Even when they fit well, one little mistake is all it takes to freeze in a dive. I had a California wetsuit dive that someone "helped" me suit up and put an S-fold in the hood. That one thumb sized hole channeled water down my back. I froze as bad as the OP described. And that was a properly fitting wetsuit, just put on wrong.

The fix is custom made to measure suit.

Remember the function of a wetsuit is you are wet, but with just a little bit of water. There should only be a cup or two of water inside the suit. That water is heated up with your body heat. If you have a lot of water, or worse water flowing through the suit, that water will never be warm. Your body can only heat so much water. Being a fairly small body (low body mass) you just don't have the heat to give up to heat a lot of excess water. So you freeze.

Having done it both ways. California diving has been a lot more comfortable year round once I went to a drysuit. It has been suggested to save a little more and just splurge on a drysuit instead of a wetsuit. It will have to be custom made either way.

@wanderwhale13 I'll definitely echo what others are saying about wetsuit fit here - a see advantages of a custom wetsuit. Many of our customers dive year-round in a custom 7mm...some even in a custom 5mm.

If we can answer any questions just let us know.

Kind regards,
Derek & JMJ

@John C. Ratliff - saw your comments and thought I'd chime in
We used to get custom-fitted wetsuits, but those have pretty much gone away with the super-stretch neoprene.
Just wanted to add here that custom fit is arguably just as important now, even with the super-stretchy neoprene. It'll still flush if it doesn't fit.

We used to get wetsuits without zippers, a pull-over top with an attached hood, and “Farmer John” bottoms, but I’m not sure whether these are options currently either.
The Farmer John & Beavertail Jacket is alive and well, still available and are popular with our customers, especially the scientific divers and other pros who are in the water a lot.

Have a good one,
Derek & JMJ

Back
Top Bottom