Abnormally Cold Vacation diver in Cali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wanderwhale13

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been very much a vacation diver for the last 8 years. Every trip, I come home resolved to start diving at home, but there's one big thing holding me back. I run unusually cold, and live in California.

From what I can tell most folks in my area go with a 7mm wetsuit. I can't really go up (I think) without going drysuit. The last time I dove in my area on Catalina Island in October, I wore the area's standard 7mm and started to shiver pretty violently underwater after half an hour. When I'm cold, my stressed out body also uses more air. On vacation I generally just let folks know in advance that I need 1 step up from the wetsuit everyone else needs, and it usually works out.

I've confirmed with my doc it's not a medical problem, I'm just naturally very thin and long. I can't afford to buy full gear right now, but strategic pieces to help me stay warm that cost less than $500 are possible.

I'm also open to building up more muscle mass, would that help? It wouldn't be instead of fat, its just easier for me to build bulk as muscle than fat.

Any suggestions for how a shaky stringbean woman can stay warm on cold water dives?

Obviously a drysuit, a good undergarment and even a heated vest will get you warm...but that is out of your price range.

High quality wetsuits are significantly warmer than your typical rental wetsuit, but these can run fairly expensive as well. You could keep an eye out for a lightly used one at a good price. Also, focus on your core and your head. Add a vest, or a thick hood (I even travel with my 10mm hood for night dives).

Otherwise, be as warm as possible without sweating before dives. If I am out of the water, even on a nice sunny day, I wear warm clothing before my dives. This may be a long sleeve shirt in the tropics, or a wool hat/puffy coat in more temperate climates.

can't afford to buy full gear right now, but strategic pieces to help me stay warm that cost less than $500 are possible.
Save up for a drysuit , $500 will not even come close to the price needed for one, that is about 1/4 the price of a basic one here [the new one I am looking at, custom made] is over 6 times that [in Australia].
The drysuits today are fantastic, if you can afford one, and the the right 'undies' as well.
Being 'a cold frog' is no fun.

What are your dimensions? Have you tried a semi dry like the Hollis Neotech?
I'm 5'11 and about 200 lbs. The XL Hollis is a tad loose on 1 spot, but fits well. I tried the large and there was zero room for me to get old and fat in.

Save up for a drysuit , $500 will not even come close to the price needed for one, that is about 1/4 the price of a basic one here [the new one I am looking at, custom made] is over 6 times that [in Australia].
The drysuits today are fantastic, if you can afford one, and the the right 'undies' as well.
Being 'a cold frog' is no fun.
Seaskin neoprene without options is in his price range but takes 3months or so to get.

I've bought used drysuits on Ebay, one for as little as $300. Sometimes divers move up to a more expensive suit and are willing to let their old suit go cheaply. Others sell suits that leak. Buyer beware.

seaskin drysuit, but even with the gbp dropping, it will end up closer to 1k with a few options

it sounds like you might not be a good fit for stock sizes either, so a used drysuit you would have to get fairly luck on condition and fit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom