Abc Nightline Bushman's Hole Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ciret

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Nightline is covering Dave Shaw's dive into Bushman's Hole tonight.

ciret:
Nightline is covering Dave Shaw's dive into Bushman's Hole tonight.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hello Mister TVO!

BTW, 20/20 right now PST talking about sharks and summer shark attacks and the myths.

Yeah, I saw the 20/20 too. I like the Myth Busters punching sharks :)

Outside magazine has an article about the Bushman's dive, which the Nightline story was based on. The outside author told the Nightline story.

As a relatively new diver, these kind of stories really make me stop and think. I do 'easy' dives following NDL's and haven't even begun to think about tech dives that take more time to plan than the dive will take. And to see a guy like Dave Shaw who, by all of the information I have seen so far, was very careful and meticulous and he didn't make it back from a dive.

Don Shirley said he thought that Dave got too involved in what he was doing, trying to recover Deon's body and maybe because of the narcosis didn't follow his own plan, got over-exerted, lost track of his time. . . Sad to see, but reminds me to think and beee careful.

Dive safe,

I found it rather disturbing. Hard to justify that kind of risk for recovering a person who has been dead that long. Don't EVER want anyone doing that for me.

Dave

I read that article in Outside, very sad story. I would have been mad if I was his wife, cause he lied to his wife saying he was going to be diving a day later then the dive was actually planned.

Caught Nightline by chance last night. 'twas quite an interesting story. I had previously glanced at some of the threads regarding 'should Dave Shaw's video of his final moments be released to the public or not'. I kept thinking GROSS! However, the video (at least that shown on Nightline) was quite benign. I didn't realize the camera was mounted on his helmet. The video was primarily of his hands and the line to the surface. It just seemed he overexerted himself while trying to put Dionn in a body bag and then went to sleep.

What was spookiest to me was the video of the team of divers the day before while going over their plans. Dave very plainly and matter of factly said (paraphrased) Don't bring me up or try to rescue me if I die. I've told my wife that's where I want to be left and she understands.' Guess the gas in Dionn's body decided otherwise when it pushed Dave to the surface the following day.

Paula

bp_968:
You wouldn't happen to want to MPEG that for us fine folks who happened to miss it would you?

Ben

You can buy the dvd at http://www.abcnewsstore.com for 29.95 plus shipping. I just ordered a copy, after seeing it last night I had to have it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom